Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Block

Default Spinning Block

I spent the day building myself a dubbing spinning block. It works like a dream.
    made a good few dubbing brushes already.

UNREAL, Un..f........real. Smaak it stukkend.(Seans saying that I dig)

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Nice André,what did u use for the core?

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Nice André,what did u use for the core?

G
    I managed to find a roll of 0.1mm copper wire at a transformer winding company in Cape town. I have tried thin brassie wire, and it is far too thick.
    I have tied a couple of flies with my howe made brushes, will photo them now and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I managed to find a roll of 0.1mm copper wire at a transformer winding company in Cape town. I have tried thin brassie wire, and it is far too thick.
    I have tied a couple of flies with my howe made brushes, will photo them now and post.
    Thanks,

Pardon my lack of info but won't a waxed thin mono perhaps work?(if ur not happy with wire cause in my experience with super thin wire,thinner than brassie this stuff breaks very easily)

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 05-10-08 at 06:25 PM.

There has been much talk at our last club meeting about this device, could someone please explain the ins and outs of this thing?

How exactly is it supposed to work, what can one use to spin the "noodle" or brush, and if I ask pretty please with lots of icing sugar on top, and whiped cream, could someone make a quick sketch of such a device?

If you use thread, the bushes wont hold their shape and they will spin up into a ball once you take them off the device. The main benefit is that you can make lots of brushes and store them. It saves time in the tying process when tying batches as to dont have to form a new loop and spin the dubbing in, as you can just tie in the brush. Its also great if you like to mix dubbings. You can also use the wires inside old cell phone charges if you can find mass rolls of the stuff.
    I made a very basic one a while ago which uses a normal spinning tool... not quite as hard core as Andre's but it works well. If I can find the plans Ill post them up but I wouldn't know where to even start looking...
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 05-10-08 at 06:48 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Here is mone of my first flies tied with a brush off the new block. Excuse the photography, but I tried.

Dubbing brush Caddis Czech nymph.

Hook..Hannak H300 G size 8
    3.5mm bead Brass or tugsten
    0.025 lead wire or your preference.

Rest of materials pretty standard, except the dubbing blend spun into a brush.

Baie Baie Mooi ANDRE.
    I request some of the brushes, so that I can do technical evaluation and write a report for FLYTALK
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast