Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Circle hooks

We alternated each hour, ha ha ha Korrie... you were there remember.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    the conventional guys where the better anglers, that is why.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre where you guys Czech nymphing? I have to ask as it's a very important bit of info

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Various techniques, CZN included. some using short line, long line nymphing, and even indicator nymphing. All techniques had a better landing rate on conventional hooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    Andre where you guys Czech nymphing? I have to ask as it's a very important bit of info

Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Various techniques, CZN included. some using short line, long line nymphing, and even indicator nymphing. All techniques had a better landing rate on conventional hooks.
    I have to agree that long line and indicator techniques don't do well with circle hooks. I noted previously I only fish circles on my caddis imitations and have had much success using it for Czech nymphing, so much so that it's near guaranteed a landed fish per strike. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it against someone else fishing conventional hooks as all my fishing buddies fish circles as well.

I always lead with my rod when nymphing with a very short line out, 1 to 3 meters max probably, and set the hook downstream never lifting the rod point on the set. I believe on the Vaal the guys fish with a bit more line out? That could possibly take away from the effectiveness as you have less contact with the flies

Anyway It may be worth trying it again purely for this short line scenario.

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I hear you. Its absolutely a matter of personal preference, and confidence in the fly that is being fished. All I can speak from, is my personal experience in using them for trout, tigers, and yellowfish, and in all cases I have found conventionals to be better. The choice of circle hooks for control flies, is also a personal one, and in few cases I do use circles for yellow fish CZN control flies, but this is more to limit the number of hook-ups on the bottom, where I use very heavy control flies with small un weighted dropper flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I have to agree that long line and indicator techniques don't do well with circle hooks. I noted previously I only fish circles on my caddis imitations and have had much success using it for Czech nymphing, so much so that it's near guaranteed a landed fish per strike. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it against someone else fishing conventional hooks as all my fishing buddies fish circles as well.

I always lead with my rod when nymphing with a very short line out, 1 to 3 meters max probably, and set the hook downstream never lifting the rod point on the set. I believe on the Vaal the guys fish with a bit more line out? That could possibly take away from the effectiveness as you have less contact with the flies

Anyway It may be worth trying it again purely for this short line scenario.

Know of a few saltwater fly fishing guys who fish circles regularly, guess it has to do with the fish often taking the fly at speed and then turning. I am totally converted when it comes to bait fishing in the salt and only uses circles on grunter, avoiding so many swallowing the hook. And the hook really holds, take a bit of time getting use to setting the hook, no striking, just tightening up.

i use circle hooks for most of my "wet" fishing. i use size 12 on most of my set-ups and land almost every fish that touches my hook. but i do stay clear of them when it comes to dries, circle hook suck at dry fly fishing. as mentioned above they are a bit tricky to remove, once de-barbed, they do slide out easier. to date i have never gill hook a fish with a circle.

I use circle hooks for fishing on Salt water bass and they hook almost every time. The fish is taking the fly and turns and hooks itself during the run.
    I also use circle hooks to make buzzers on for fishing on lakes and also here the rainbows do the same. In both cases you don't have to set the hook, the fish hooks him self.
    When I am fishing Tsjech Nymphs I use jig heads on the point and normal nymphs on the droppers tied on a Kamasan B110 and they work fine.
    Grts,

Gino V.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Flyfishing is a way of live
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mind set, and with time, an obsession.

<°)))>< your fish <--------> my fish ><((((((((((((((((º>

I use circle hooks for fishing on Salt water bass and they hook almost every time. The fish is taking the fly and turns and hooks itself during the run.
    I also use circle hooks to make buzzers on for fishing on lakes and also here the rainbows do the same. In both cases you don't have to set the hook, the fish hooks him self.
    When I am fishing Tsjech Nymphs I use jig heads on the point and normal nymphs on the droppers tied on a Kamasan B110 and they work fine.
    Grts,

Gino V.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Flyfishing is a way of live
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mind set, and with time, an obsession.

<°)))>< your fish <--------> my fish ><((((((((((((((((º>

My very unscientific take on this is that because circle hooks work best when the fish is holding the lure or bait and then turns you need

(1) the hook to be in the mouth for long enough (hard lures are rejected quickly, flies and baits not so much)
    (2) have a tight line towards the end of the process (CN qualifies, dries unless riffle-hitched and swung don't)
    (3) have a hook gape that is not too small/has some relationship with size of the jawbone / jaw hinge (why dries on circles are problematic)
    (4) fish that either grab or inhale their prey to achieve (1) above - biters or slashers don't go so well with circles
    (5) fly design that can slide easily in the mouth - poppers and bulky bodied Clousers don't qualify - Sempers do

With dries there is usually too much slack and circle hook is necessarily tiny so hardly surprising they don't work here. In SW the line is usually tight and as long as fish are grab or implosion feeders the fly goes well into the mouth and they turn and you hook up.

Obvious applications for circles would include fishing streamers in shallow rocky areas in SW or rivers so no snagging or dulling of hook points - largie flies maybe?

To me the question 'where do circles work better than J-style' is the important one. So often we start with the method or tool and try to apply it to our fishing situation. The great anglers start with the outcome and think back from the outcome to decide the best method or tool to use.
    Last edited by allsorts; 09-02-15 at 07:30 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast