Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breede River Salt Trip

Hi Guys,

Will post some more pics by tomorrow/this evening.

Leke can't wait!

Beast of a cobbie- geluk Johan. Even better on Drop-shot!!!

Gyles Webb, who joined us on the trip and owner of Thelema vineyards, kindly supplied some of their Sutherland range, great wines! Below Johan celebrates his catch, excuse the wine cup/glass, out in the bush a Leatherman is a man's best friend.

Reason for celebration

Casting a line at sunset

The South Westerly meant business in the afternoon, enough reason to enjoy a drink at the Breede River lodge

Many pieces of the grunter puzzle came together this weekend. After landing many a grunter on bait I believe, for a long time, I understood, but not fully the feeding behaviour of this awesome fish. I will write under the grunter thread, what I believe (my opinion), what I have been missing. Many great fisherman, including MC Coetzer, Jannie Visser, Henkie Altena, Peter Coetzee, August Lohann, Tim Reed, the Alcocks and Athony Kruger did groundbreaking work. It never seemed to be consistent, but with regular success. Again we did discuss grunter in depth during our trip.

Wading onto a grunter flat, I knew, today is the day, after spotting some tailing fish. Not many, probably three fish at the most. It is quite an extensive flat, probably 500 by 100 meters. In a matter of 20 minutes I missed two fish and landed one. What I do know is that grunter don't feed the same under different states of the tide and in different areas (sand vs mud), however, I believe we are getting closer to understand the grunter's behavior. It was simply great and I hope we can start catching more grunter on fly, since it is fish in the same league as Permit and other difficult fly rod species.

Not a big grunter, but both his mom and dad are huge

Hehe like the caption!

Waiting on some more pics from the others. Below are some more pics.

Lekker Philip! Fario and I are there for a few days later this week. Looking forward to honing in on the success he has had there recently with them spots...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Cool Kevin,

Let us know on your return.

We will possibly do another trip from the 16th to the 19th of April, and will make a call by the end of this week. Send me a pm or e-mail if you want to join.

Hi Guys,

Herewith a short clip of Johan's cob.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast