Thread: Where on the orange?

Default Where on the orange?

Hi guys

I am interested in doing a trip down the orange. I see there are various locations that are being fished like
    1) namibia SA border
    2) augrabies down stream
    3) upstream of van der kloof dam
    4) around Douglas

Hoping there are some okes that can comment on these areas. Do the different areas offer different results or are they similar. I want to do a 4-5 day paddle down and camping type trip.

Thanx
    Ian

Do you want to paddle, how far do you want to paddle.
    or do you want to paddle and do a little bit fishing?
    Or do you want to fish with a little bit of paddling?
    There are stretches that you can fish for 3 days flat, without getting to the end of the rapids.
    other areas, you will find fishing rapids every 1km or 2.
    I see that you are from Mpumalanga, how far do you want to drive? All the way to the Richtersveld?
    Or just to Upington area or stop at Douglas? From Douglas to Richtersveld is another 9 hours drive. That is an extra day there and an extra day back.
    What time of the year are you going?

Below V D Kloof dam is great, as the water is much cleaner/viz, after going thru a couple of dams and the silt have settled.
    Maybe a good camping spot, where they will take up upstream of the camping spot, drop you off, you paddle to the camping spot and fish. The next day, paddle down and they collect you at a spot and take you back to the camp.

a couple of names off guys that run very good setups
    Chris v d Post and Klaas Viljoen Below the VDK Dam
    Jacques Marais Douglas area.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Korrie, thanx for the response.

I am more interested in the fishing than paddling. I am planning to go the last week in November.

Will the flows be reasonable that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianzo View Post
    Hi Korrie, thanx for the response.

I am more interested in the fishing than paddling. I am planning to go the last week in November.

Will the flows be reasonable that time?
    The flows all depends on the whether.
    Whether there is a lot of rain or whether there is very little rain.

But should be fine, you have enough time to plan a good trip.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The flows depend more on the water that is being let out of the Vander Kloof dam than the weather, unless like a few years ago, there were massive floods.
    November is usually a perfect time, bar any unpredictable events, but beware of the intense heat at that time of year
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The flows all depends on the whether.
    Whether there is a lot of rain or whether there is very little rain.

But should be fine, you have enough time to plan a good trip.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The flows depend more on the water that is being let out of the Vander Kloof dam than the weather, unless like a few years ago, there were massive floods.
    November is usually a perfect time, bar any unpredictable events, but beware of the intense heat at that time of year
    Thanx for the response guys. I looked at the map and it seems like a shortish section between van der kloof and Gariep? Are there operators there or lodges? can you privately paddle down stream and camp next to the river?

Hi Ianzo,

Have stayed here twice, great spot, they have boats also - http://www.orangerivertentedcamp.co.za/ Just consider the river level varies every day - hydro electricity.

However, I would recommend Jascques camp if you want to get fishing value, comfort, travel time and some exploring out of your trip. In terms of remoteness and superb setting and fishing you can't beat the Richtersveld. In my opinion De Hoop is the best base camp. Just far and quite a bit of logistics to consider. I haven't been below van der Kloof, but I am sure this is also good fishing.