Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Disturbing

The sad part is that the nets are so cheap, In Lesotho, also a big problem, as they buy it from the Chinese trading stores for R20.00
    Probably the same cost in SA.
    The good part is that the nets burn very easy.
    Put on a heap, or in fire place, a crumpled up newspaper and it makes a lovely quick fire.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

My original story made it to several Facebook pages, my local newspaper,etc and not once I did I receive a mail or phone call from somebody or organisation about the incident. I'm not holding my breath for Government or other to do something about our water quality or fish populations. Maak maar jou handjies vuil en do it yourself!

Btw, did u see the flow is up again? lol

I have received a detailed response, with relevant contact details. Is something actually going to be done about it?I don't know yet, but it is a start.

If anyone wants the contact details of the people that should be contacted to give them the areas you know of that must be cleaned up send me a pm and I will forward the details on to you.

I have only given them the area that I have come into contact with the illegal netting.

illegal netting reply.jpg

mmmm yes I see they have increased to 25cums and the level is at 7.47. would love to know the reasoning. but just as well with this rain now.

Default Update

I have been told that there will be a clean up operation with SAPS in JULY.

I will say again, if anyone knows of other specific areas that they need to go to. PM me and I will send on the details for reporting.

We did a river rafting trip in Parys last year and I was stunned by the amount of gill nets we saw, We got into the river in town and ended up at Sunwa River Lodge, I personally pulled 4 nets from the water, when the guide saw this he told me please dont do this as the poachers will get violent. We passed another 7 nets on the river.

Sadly the cleanup never happened AFAIK too many legal issues from what I understand...lol. Seems like it's up to us to do the work. :wink:

Sorry I found the login details to my original account, requested for admin to remove the bushveldfrank account.

I am going to make work of this and speak to some of the local tour operators to see if we can arrange a day to cleanup some areas, if we manage to get 30 + guys on the river we can get a lot done. Do the normal river rafting tour as we did as it seems to be the area where most of the nets are? If we dont do it as you mentioned Gerrit it wont happen and I feel it is our responsibility to make the first move...
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

The amount of gill nets in Jozini dam is also disturbing.
    Or maybe it is because the water level is so low, that you see the previous 10 years of combined gill nets being exposed, with the low water.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

So I mailed the Endangered Wildlife Trust in SA and a very helpful lady called Bridget - she referred me to Leon who replied as below. I can't say there are still a large amount of netting happening but from what I saw a year ago it was definitely a very big issue. If anyone encounters nets on the vaal during a drift or on a fishing trip please can you capture the GPS location and post it to the thread, so that I can relay the information to Herman Jordaan as requested by Leon.

As I mentioned to me the most nets we saw was at the point of entry in Parys down to the golf course area, it then seemed to stop.

Looking forward to your cooperation gents.

"Dear Frank

Herman Jordaan, the Environmental Management Inspector for the Northern Free State has recently done inspections in the Vaal River at Parys after reports were received from people about illegal fishing, but he did not find any nets nor people fishing illegally. I suggest you do not confront the people setting the nets yourself or in a group, but rather liaise with Herman directly as in the past a number of successful law enforcement operations in conjunction with the local SAPS were done.

Please refer to Herman’s email address in the address list, and contact him as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leon"
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3