Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing

Default Disturbing

Whilst out with a client yesterday on the river we saw something very disturbing!!!!!!!!

We saw a 2L plastic bottle mysteriously moving around, upside down and underneath connected with "boulyn", a monster Largemouth Yellowfish of 15lbs hooked to a rusted Van der Merve hook.

I have heard about this brutal technique of catching fish before and often encounter these empty bottles but never once imagined I would see it in real life. More disturbing was that whomever did this obviously had a flawed system because the fish managed to loosen itself from the reeds, it looked as if the line broke so who knows where the actual catch actually took place? How it works is a longer line is attached to nearby reeds or trees via the bottle so the fish normally hooks itself by eating whatever is on the hook, probably a crab and the empty bottle acts as an indicator or "dobbertjie" for easy collection.

I landed the fish with my landing net and released the poor fish immediately. You could clearly see the markings and feel the desperation.... With no Nature Conservation to speak off, no more Fauna and Flora, no fishing permits, no regulation what do you expect???? The Vaalriver and it's fish populations are busy dying because of these types of things happening, constant sewerage and acid spills and if it continues like this there wil be nothing left.

11262996_1582966355309330_6116691468726098293_o.jpg 11257169_1582966351975997_5803323820807505024_n.jpg 11148835_1582966328642666_8845766218515398507_o.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 17-05-15 at 11:46 AM.

Some people are just K@K
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Even more disturbing, I have heard stories of gill nets on the Vaal and the Orange. Anyone here with 1st hand knowledge?
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Dennis has told me about the guys at Sterkies doing it in the tribs. The fish go up those tribs in their thousands to spawn and the poachers literally just net them all.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Gert good on you being a Guardian on the Vaal.
    Only thing I would suggest is that you start carrying a gun on your outings. Removing long lines, gill nets and the likes can become extremely dangerous as there is always someone watching. Sooner or later they corner you and then you need to be vigilant.

I no longer fish a spot on the Croc after being spotted removing gill nets. Its too far off and although its the right thing to do, I value my life more.

Big ups to you. You are doing some fantastic work. I thank you for your efforts.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!

Great job there gerrit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see that my local newspaper is doing a story about this! Together with the rafters I think we can control "a" section of the Vaal cause if we don't it will look like Pride Rock after Scar took over...

I know gill nets are a big problem above the barrage also. Have a couple of friend that go bass fishing regularly and have released a number of fish caught in these nets. Current spots that are being targeted are especially where smaller river or streams join up to the bigger river. The white polystyrene floats are just hidden under the surface and these nets sometimes span the entire "width" of the stream or the joining water body.
    Last edited by GavinD; 26-05-15 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    these nets sometimes span the entire length of the stream or the joining water body.
    Wow... that long??
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast