Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Czech nymphers almost killed them selves because they are stupid

Fly fishing etiquette indicates that the angler fishing upstream (against the flow) has right of way over anglers fishing downstream (with the flow).
    That said, an angler already fishing a piece of water who was there before another angler, would also have priority over that piece of water - other anglers should divert around the angler. Distance would depend on method being fished.
    As to anglers casting a long line and potentially "reserving" water up/downstream as a result of the aerialised line - I would say you cannot fault them at all. That they are casting over water you may want to move into to fish is not their problem and they were obviously in the spot/area before you, so they would have priority. (one cannot dictate what method/distance another angler is to fish over). Fishing far enough behind them as to not be in their casting zone would be perfectly acceptable, but they should not have to keep you in mind while casting - you are the person encroaching upon them.

I do not like leap-frog fishing when fishing in a group (ala the Lesotho example above) - either the river needs to be split, ie Group/Angler A fishes up from a point, while Group/Angler B walks downstream, then fishes back up to the same point); or the fishing is done together, fishing take-for-take, on a rotational basis.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Fly fishing etiquette indicates that the angler fishing upstream (against the flow) has right of way over anglers fishing downstream (with the flow).
    That said, an angler already fishing a piece of water who was there before another angler, would also have priority over that piece of water - other anglers should divert around the angler. Distance would depend on method being fished.
    As to anglers casting a long line and potentially "reserving" water up/downstream as a result of the aerialised line - I would say you cannot fault them at all. That they are casting over water you may want to move into to fish is not their problem and they were obviously in the spot/area before you, so they would have priority. (one cannot dictate what method/distance another angler is to fish over). Fishing far enough behind them as to not be in their casting zone would be perfectly acceptable, but they should not have to keep you in mind while casting - you are the person encroaching upon them.

I do not like leap-frog fishing when fishing in a group (ala the Lesotho example above) - either the river needs to be split, ie Group/Angler A fishes up from a point, while Group/Angler B walks downstream, then fishes back up to the same point); or the fishing is done together, fishing take-for-take, on a rotational basis.
    Well said.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Well.... he was actually within his rights... respectfully. Theres nothing to say that he cant make those casts, and even if he would have spooked a lot of his fish, he was there first, and its his prerogative. Im saying this respectfully to you, but yes, it does sound extreme, and he could have been more considerate, but he actually was fully entitled to fish like that. You came in after he was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicus View Post
    You get some odd/strange circumstances as well, when you have to call it as you see it. I was fishing Eendekuil one time, and the following transpired:

It was late afternoon, and having fished the far channels, I was making my way back to my car, stopping here and there for a few minutes to fish. As I started crossing the last channel, I saw two guys standing about 40m into the big pool in front of the main house. Both dressed in the very latest camo gear. One seemed to acting as a spotter/guide/advisor. They seemed to be targeting some carp activity close to the opposite bank. The guy fishing was making 40m casts to the region of activity.

Needless to say, his back casts were a menace to anyone within a 40m range behind him. I was planning to have a go at the last little glide in the last channel before calling it a day. Only problem was, it was roughly 40m behind the caster. I was slightly irritated, as I knew that with the commotion he was making, he had zero chance of connecting with a carp. He was wasting time and energy anyways. And with his antics, he was "reserving" a pretty large area to himself. Look, his distance casting was impressive, I admit, but the presentation was never going to fool a carp on fly.

I watched for a while, then decided that his back-casts were a few meters short of me, and I could fish. The moment stepped up to the glide, the caster stopped, both fishermen turned around, and stared at me. They said nothing, but the message was clear. I decided that it was not worth spoiling my day over this, and moved on to my car.

Cast out a whole fly-line on the river, and thereby reserve the whole 2500 square meters around you for yourself? Really? There are extremes to everything.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Well.... he was actually within his rights... respectfully. Theres nothing to say that he cant make those casts, and even if he would have spooked a lot of his fish, he was there first, and its his prerogative. Im saying this respectfully to you, but yes, it does sound extreme, and he could have been more considerate, but he actually was fully entitled to fish like that. You came in after he was there.
    Agreed, it is just not something I would do.

As you say:
    Theres nothing to say that he cant make those casts, and even if he would have spooked a lot of his fish, he was there first, and its his prerogative
    According to the unwritten, but well understood rules of the river, he was well within his rights. I suppose that is why I just relented and moved on.

But being within your rights and/or within a set of rules does not necessarily make your actions reasonable.
    Driving 80 km/h in the fast lane is not against the law, but it is unreasonable. (Maybe not a great example, but I think it makes the point)

Eendekuil on a weekend is a semi-busy place, doing what he did is within his rights, but not reasonable, in my view.

Also this example serves to show that short line methods does have it's place, especially at busy venues. And that rights to space can have many perspectives and interpretations.
    In the end, just being reasonable and using a bit of common sense, will go a long way in helping everyone have a pleasant fishing experience.

P.S.

Just to be fair, I have only encountered what I described above once. It is not a common problem, methinks. Just one extreme example.
    Last edited by Vicus; 03-06-15 at 12:47 PM.

I'll keep all these comments in mind when I'm on the golf course again. How DARE the guy putting stare at me while I play my approach shot!! I mean, greens are pretty big, and the cup we are playing to is pretty small.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ha ha... he need not worry... your approach shot wont get anywhere near the green, let alone the cup. :biggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I'll keep all these comments in mind when I'm on the golf course again. How DARE the guy putting stare at me while I play my approach shot!! I mean, greens are pretty big, and the cup we are playing to is pretty small.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    be careful of his back swing
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Who else putts from the rough?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ha ha... he need not worry... your approach shot wont get anywhere near the green, let alone the cup. :biggrin:
    Probably a scratch golfer too André??

I stopped playing when my handicap was 4 just for the record.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    be careful of his back swing
    André's??? You mean back-lash then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Who else putts from the rough?
    Not André, he puts INTO the rough.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast