Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Italian Style of casting

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The essence of Italian style casting is captured in this 2 sentences

"While there is a range of casts used in the Italian Style (see Part 3 for specific casts) all of them are built around a basic set of techniques. The trick to becoming competent is to master the fluid and harmonious casting action that ensures high line speed and constant line tension."
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

A couple of years ago, when I visited Italy, I had a 2 hour session with the then, European casting champion.
    Trying to master the finer details of the Italian Casting style.

He said, the most important thing, is the moving of your rod in a single plane. When watching the video, this is highlighted a couple of times.
    Bebe, the casting champ, said to me, to start off, by standing next to a wall, and doing the cast without a rod, until your arm does not touch the wall any more.
    Then you move on, doing the same excercise, but with a rod. not scratching the wall with your rod.
    When you accomplish this, you are doing the single plain correct.
    You can do "Shadow" or "air casting" without a rod next to any wall, without the rod, mirroring the action of the cast.
    This way you develop the muscle memory required.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3