Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Blanks

Default Orvis Blanks

Crazy how much cheaper Orvis blanks are than the other top brands (of which you can get blanks). Sage, NFC, Winston. Is the price of a warranty really worth so much?

Comparing blanks of 9'0 5-weights (all prices from Mudhole to compare fairly)

Orvis Helios2 - $325
    Sage One - #363
    Sage Method - $400
    Winston BiiX - $454

Mind you, looking at that, I'd still get the Sage keeping the warranty and local service and support from Frontier in mind.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Crazy how much cheaper Orvis blanks are than the other top brands (of which you can get blanks). Sage, NFC, Winston. Is the price of a warranty really worth so much?

Comparing blanks of 9'0 5-weights (all prices from Mudhole to compare fairly)

Orvis Helios2 - $325
    Sage One - #363
    Sage Method - $400
    Winston BiiX - $454

Mind you, looking at that, I'd still get the Sage keeping the warranty and local service and support from Frontier in mind.
    I am actually really surprised compared to the factory cost. The Helios 2 is something like 750 dollars form the factory.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Orvis at $325? Expensive for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I am actually really surprised compared to the factory cost. The Helios 2 is something like 750 dollars form the factory.
    Keep in mind there is ZERO warranty on them! Replacement fee only.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The "life time warranty" is costing the rod companies and end the end the fly fishers much more than what they originally bargained for.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Keep in mind there is ZERO warranty on them! Replacement fee only.
    Hey Mario

I didnt know that was true. I bought a second hand Orvis here in ZA - the ferrule broke and I wrote to them about fixing it as they said they had a 25year warranty - They replace it with a H2 - I bought the rod for 2k here.

I was really amazed that they would do this.

Niel, I love my Orvis, it doesnt have the backbone I thought it would, but its such a light rod its awesome to use.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Hey Mario

I didnt know that was true. I bought a second hand Orvis here in ZA - the ferrule broke and I wrote to them about fixing it as they said they had a 25year warranty - They replace it with a H2 - I bought the rod for 2k here.

I was really amazed that they would do this.

Niel, I love my Orvis, it doesnt have the backbone I thought it would, but its such a light rod its awesome to use.
    On the blanks Jade.
    Mario Geldenhuys

On the blanks Jade.
    Yeah, its a solid risk - I just thought that they would maybe be forthcoming with their consumers service if something went wrong. Warranty or not. Anyway - The warranty is a good reason to buy a Sage any day, never mind the fact they are great blanks.

Are there any other brands that dont give a warranty that make blanks?

In SA it's hard to challenge the Sage warranty and excellent dealer support from Frontier and Upstream. I've read that the latest offerings from Hardy and Orvis are great and GL NRX needs no introduction. But, ownership is also about warranty and resale. In my book, anyway.

I agree....not worth their money. Most Orvis's aren't much good. There are one or two that are ok, but for most of them, very overrated flyrods.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Orvis at $325? Expensive for what you get.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast