Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How difficult/easy is it to obtain Provincial colours

Default How difficult/easy is it to obtain Provincial colours

Just a quick question to the competitive flyfishermen or administrators.

I read an article on a well-known flytiers' take on competitive flyfishing and was wondering how difficult the process is in obtaining Provincial colours for flyfishing.
    Is it correct in assuming that say North West Province decides to enter a team they get 5 guys together, enter them as the North West Province Team and they all automatically in doing so obtain Provincial colours?
    Maybe in between they have three social outings to decide their rankings and make sure they all know how to tie a clinch knot.

A friend of mine who used to be active on this forum a couple of years ago represented Northern Gauteng and told me the story how we was approached to compete, did like three outings with the rest of the members and then next thing he was a provincial flyfisherman.

More info anyone please?
    Tell me how the different provinces decide on their teams - let's make it easy and start with Mpumalanga and Limpopo - How did they select the teams?
    Last edited by redhumpy; 08-06-15 at 09:50 AM.

All provinces have to have a league structure, which works on a ranking. In the past when a province could enter as many teams as they like, it was easy to represent the Provice, nowdays a province can only enter one team, and so it becomes more difficult. If a province only has 5 competitive anglers, then they are almost certain of being included, but their structure still has to be sanctioned by SAFFA, Its not a hugely difficult thing to get provincial colours. There are also Provincial league points for pat experience, so if a guy has performed well in a previous Nationals, he will get some automatic league points for the following year. This basically keeps the standard of new people into the league, very high, as they need to become very good, and learn quickly to compete with the seasoned old campainers. Remember also that basically if you are good enough to make the Provincial team, by participate in the Provincial league, you will get your Provincial colours.
    I know that Boland and WP are affiliated to the WP Sports council, who approve the colours for all sporting codes.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It is with any sport, certain provinces have more depth than others.
    It is much more difficult to get your provincial colors in rugby in Lions, WP or Bulls than in Northern Free State (griffons)
    The same applies to fly fishing, certain provinces do a lot more for the depth and development of the province than others.
    Since the start of competitive fly fishing, WP have won the most Nationals or featured in the top 3, than any other province.
    Northern Gauteng, in the last 3 or 4 years have also become very strong.

Each province have different criteria.
    Some have a league, others have social outings with informal competitions etc to select the teams.
    The SASCOC wants to spread ALL SPORT as wide as possible, (all provinces)
    SO some provinces are very low level, just to qualify for the minimum requirements as per law.
    Last edited by Korrie; 08-06-15 at 10:08 AM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

What was the criteria applied to select the Mpumalanga and Limpopo teams?

In my opinion, from what I have read and what I have seen in the last couple of years provincial colours is an absolute joke in flyfishing. No wonder the competitive flyfishers gets such a bad rap - it is because it is a colours for tjommies set-up in most provinces. I know WP has a good system and the National set-up also to an extent but for the rest - ag please. Is it as easy to obtain provincial colours in papswaai or not? I doubt it very very much.

I have no idea how those provinces select their teams. I only have WP and limited Boland experience, and these two provinces do well, because they have a good development structure which serves their members through dedication and sacrifice of the Provincial leadership. Perhaps you should approach SAFFA, and ask them, what the criteria are, alternatively, you could join a fly fishing province in your area, and become involved, instead of criticising from the outside. Competitive fly fishing does not have a bad name at all, on the contrary, it has a very good name. The only bad name you see, are because of one of two people, who moan about beat markers being left behind, with the intent of doing whatever they can to tarnish the image of comp fly fishing, but speak to some of the parents of the kids at various schools in the Cape and Boland areas, and see how involved they are, look at the camaraderie, look at how quickly fly fishers develop their skills. You just need to go to one or two of the social events at Eikendal to see for yourself how much of a good name competition has. If there is a bad name in some provinces, then they only have themselves to blame. Another thing... give me one bad thing about competitive fly fishing that isn't found as a negative in any other sporting structure.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    What was the criteria applied to select the Mpumalanga and Limpopo teams?

In my opinion, from what I have read and what I have seen in the last couple of years provincial colours is an absolute joke in flyfishing. No wonder the competitive flyfishers gets such a bad rap - it is because it is a colours for tjommies set-up in most provinces. I know WP has a good system and the National set-up also to an extent but for the rest - ag please. Is it as easy to obtain provincial colours in papswaai or not? I doubt it very very much.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Another thing... give me one bad thing about competitive fly fishing that isn't found as a negative in any other sporting structure.
    Nymphing
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Another thing... give me one bad thing about competitive fly fishing that isn't found as a negative in any other sporting structure.
    In wing shooting you can only shoot the same bird once.

My first nationals was at Elgo, about 12 years ago. The Western Province team was made up of a group of guys that Korrie got together very quickly , without trials. We came stone last, but learned a lot and had a huge amount of fun. We were very average to cr@p fly fishermen at the time, but a core group of guys perservered, and WP became the top competitive fly fishing province in a few years. One or two of the guys in that small initial group, went on to become Protea anglers. So that tells you that it doesn't really matter how difficult or easy it was to become a "Provincial" competitor, its what you choose to do with the experience, and how much commitment you put in to become one of the countries best. Anyone cam become a provincial fly fisherman, that doesn't mean much, but to win medals and to progress to a higher level, takes commitment and tenacity.
    People who have some sustained competition experience, are undoubtedly better all round fly fishermen that non competition fly fishermen. The competion structure, when applied all year round, such as in WP, causes people to become very efficient at making the most of all conditions and situations. There are a few people in the country who are very good, who have no competition experience, but on the whole, the best fly fishermen in the country have competed.

Can a person from Boland fish for say Limpopo or any other team outside his "province of residence" if the other teams are "full" already for nationals?
    Say I live in Pretoria but the NG team is full with good anglers but they really want me to fish as well - can they ask Mpumalanga that I join their team or create a North West Province team for instance for me, Korrie, Gerrit, OMR and Shamwari?

Anyone cam become a provincial fly fisherman, that doesn't mean much, but to win medals and to progress to a higher level, takes commitment and tenacity.
    That's very true André. A lot of people I have spoken to say it is for them to learn, for the experience, for fun etc etc etc. But we need to remember it is still a competition, like anything else, and no matter how good you are, you have to be a competitor in every sense of the word to be able to pull it through. I know guys that are AMAZING fly fisherman, but who will be absolutely crap competitors at the sport, and in the same breath you'd get it the other way around as well I guess.

I agree with #2's point though, and just because it's fly fishing (which we all love) it does not mean we should not be objective. Maybe there should be something in the system about minimum number of competitors or something to make sure that a) provincial colours are not just available for collection in the smaller provinces, and b) to ensure growth by "forcing" minimums?

I know it's easy to stand on the side and point (don't always see it as criticism), but we all love fishing, and even if we don't do it competitively does not mean we don't want the sport to grow, and have our teams bring back medals.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast