Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: cheap line vs quality line

There is few master casters who can do that , but using super fast ,stiff rods ,like a TCR #5 (which is actually AFTMA #7 according to CCS )
    Also they are using a special lines , for presentation purpose of course, with very heavy head , meaning almost shooting head taper.

But , for this exercise you MUST know everything about casting , and to be on the level of master Instructor.
    Even then ,it may be impossible .

Also, I saw too many times people saying I can get out a full line , and they do that for real.
    Only missing thing is that the line is not full line ,but previously cut on half or so .
    The last such an example was in Cape Vidal, one guy was there casting "full line" on some 15 meters distance .

With all due respect , I am not telling you cannot do that, I am just wondering how is that possible without proper casting training and proper tackle.

Proper (distance) casting training is like learning new language on the first place .
    On the second place it is about knowing exactly what are you doing right and/or wrong ,and then fixing bad habits while working on improving one by one different casting aspects.
    The background is MUSCLE MEMORY .
    One need at least 21 one day to adopt some new bio mechanical hand or body movement .
    But this not the worse thing . The bad news is that one need almost double of that time to get rid of previous bad habit=wrong movement .
    One cannot adopt new proper habit, without clearing previous bad one.
    It is bouncing back like a boomerang if you are not consistent .

It starts with casting only 10 metres of line with perfect loops and dead straight bottom leg ,following by slight increase every day .
    Then back to shorter distance if loops are not perfect ,then go longer again if loops are OK.
    It took me 3 years of such a proper training to get to my first 30 meters with #5 outfit .
    2,5 years for getting rid of bad habits ,created by 15-20 yers or WRONG casting .
    Only few months after that (MEANING TWO MONTHS AFTER 2,5 YEARS = ALMOST AFTER 2,7 YEARS SAY) I jump to 28 meters , and then another few months for another 2 meters .
    Later on, and after that , I managed my personal record of 34 meters , and stopped right there to practice distance on daily basis .
    I thought further is not possible .
    It was in 2005 when I moved to SA .
    These days I can do 29 meters with ease and WITH double haul of course .
    For 30 meters I need at least few weeks practice, just for bloody 1 meter (of consistent 30 m distance, not here and there )
    For another 4 meters I will need at least half year , yes you read it right, at least 5-6 months .
    Every day , minimum 1-2 hrs of proper practice , with help of video cameras .
    Luckily I do not need Master Instructor anymore, since now I know, and now I can do the lessons to the same casting masters who done it for me, with all due respect

What I learned the most is understanding how casting mechanics works , talent to see all mistakes and find a cure by looking at caster loops and stance just for few casts, and on the end ability to teach the others , after so heavily experience and progress on my self.
    That's why my Master Caster friends are not shame to ask me to help them .

Maybe I didn't said that from 2000-2005 I had the best caster (FFF Master ) from Balkans and best distance caster on the bloody Earth - Paul Arden from Sexyloops- at that time like mentors on my side.

Today , after Paul and few dozen of us, -the distance caster enthusiast from his Sexyloops Board -literally changed the world of distance casting in #5 weight , Scandinavian casters accepted the new approach , and today they cast over 40 meters winning all competitions without mercy . Before Paul and Sexyloops they was just like anyone else .
    Paul record is 42 point something meters , achieved few years a go , but he never managed it again, simply because he do not practice it so hard anymore .

So this little story may be of help to someone to understand that Fly Casting -CAN NOT BE LEARNED just like that-without understanding casting mechanics and casting language , without proper coach, proper approach and prescriptive ,
    proper training day by day .
    And one must continue to do that on daily basis if maximum achieved distance want to be verified by each and every cast.
    If not , distance will decrease to the first low level distance easily achieved , which now represent the real caster form .
    If even that is outstanding, bad habit will return from the past , and one will find not so easy to make even that stupid 28 meters each time (talking about my self )
    I am happy with my 28 meters on command and 29 -30 m if lucky , in real fishing conditions , especially on Sterkies while chasing that huge rising fish in the middle of water )
    ( now for the real fishing conditions I am talking about #6 weight rod . With #5 , I have to go down for one meter at least)

Cheers,
    Zoran

ps
    sorry for long post, I thought to write just one line, but then whole story comes out of me .....
    Last edited by Zoran; 23-06-15 at 03:36 PM.

easy to settle. take your cellphone. let someone record you. post it on youtube. post a link here, and let all the naysayers swallow their words.
    catch and release

Im not saying that it cant be done, I just saying that in all my years, I have not seen anyone cast a full line without a haul. I would love to see it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    easy to settle. take your cellphone. let someone record you. post it on youtube. post a link here, and let all the naysayers swallow their words.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Exactly. Me too. Would love to see....
    catch and release

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Exactly. Me too. Would love to see....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cY0l0K_eLg
    I found this. Seems its possible....wow.
    Last edited by Andre; 23-06-15 at 05:30 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I've once made a full line cast with my 3wt. Strongish wind over left shoulder and just about the first time I've actually had space behind me for a back cast. But that was with double hauling and wind and luck and really not a pretty fly presentation at the end. Made a high cast and the wind did most of the work - I think. Also got some windknots in the leader - just not worth the effort. The fish were in any case feeding near the side:biggrin:

I once cast out a full line right into my leader with only a single cast stroke.

Disclaimer - I was standing on a hill at Sterkies in a 80km/h wind :wink:

Sterkies wind rod actions.jpg

Take a look at those rod actions just from the wind. First one is an Epic Glass and second a Sage Method :biggrin:
    Last edited by Bryan; 23-06-15 at 05:25 PM.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

One thing I can say for certain, is that if I was in a fishing situation that needed a full line cast, I would probably not be using a 3wt.

Catman Banned User

Wow that is supper cool
    Straight line for the arm movement. That rods bends like jelly due to the loading.
    All respects. I can imagine that that would take a few years of practise for that action.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast