Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: New 5wt 9ft..

Default New 5wt 9ft..

So I'm in the market for a new 5wt, had a throw with a sage method and loved it. The price worries me.... If i can't find something that's similar I'll buy the sage. Question is, is there something out there that can perform the same and be cheaper?

The sage method is a nice rod, but a little overrated for the price in my opinion. There must be hundreds of rods in the market that do the job just as well for a fraction of the price. One thing to remember with Sage however, is that you have the Worlds foremost brand, with best warranty in the fly fishing world, backed up by the best dealers in SA who have an absolute passion for the brand, so the extra premium might just be worth it. One thing I can say, is that if you do choose to go for the Sage, money aside, you wont be sorry, just be careful to check any rods characteristics against your chose application. In other words, will the rod actually suit the type of fishing that you want to use it for? Its a lot of money to pay for a rod, only to find out that you bought it based on the wrong criteria. Its one thing to buy a rod that you can cast well, but another thing to actually fish with it.
    Last edited by Andre; 23-06-15 at 05:12 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The Sage Method is probably the most unforgiving rod to cast that I have ever experienced. It is an absolute thing of beauty when you get it right but if you dont have a great casting action it is going to be hard work.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The Sage Method is probably the most unforgiving rod to cast that I have ever experienced. It is an absolute thing of beauty when you get it right but if you dont have a great casting action it is going to be hard work.
    Helios 2 . . . . 'nough said . . .

But seriously, if you are not for spending the money but want an awesome stick and good warranty, have a look at a TFO BVK.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Well... its a very fast rod, and like all fast rods, forgiveness is not one of their finer functions. They are designed for the guy who wants to show off his casting prowess, and to h3ll with the rods fishability. That's why I threw in that little snippet about the rods suitability to the fishing application, but the "Method" is one of those rods that is designed to impess the guy who buys the rod based on its "parking lot casting test"....in other words, its targeted to TFO customers who have more money than brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Problem with the Helios, is that its more expensive than the Sage, with a poor backup infrastructure, and besides, the Method is probably a better casting tool than the Helios anyway. I do agree re the BVK though.... why spend the bucks on the Sage if its all only about casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Helios 2 . . . . 'nough said . . .

But seriously, if you are not for spending the money but want an awesome stick and good warranty, have a look at a TFO BVK.

Yeah the Helios 2 was more of a joke than advice. Its not as an impressive caster as I thought it would be, and I thought it was actually a bit soft - but I dont have the midflex.

BVK's are a bargain for the support you get to. What about a Greys rod? I have heard good things?
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Unless you are an expert caster for that money I would rather go for the G Loomis NRX. Proven quality. Won every award going for the last few years.

I have cast (and fished) many rods but none compare with this and if you shop around you could save yourself R3 - 4K
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by 4kolfish View Post
    So I'm in the market for a new 5wt, had a throw with a sage method and loved it. The price worries me.... If i can't find something that's similar I'll buy the sage. Question is, is there something out there that can perform the same and be cheaper?
    There's a fascinating 5wt Shootout here which is well worth reading. Not sure it will make your task easier though! http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...oop-optistream

Greys and TFO are great rods if you don't wanna break the bank.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast