Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange or Richtersveld Trip

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Ja to be honest, the medical was an after-thought (just had one done myself). Last thing you want on the river is a guy having a heart attack or something and then it's your baby to deal with it!
    A medial fund that will be willing to go out and pickup a patient should something happen.

Do you have cellphone coverage in the region?

If not how would you communicate during an emergency?
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Most of the area along the Orange are either covered by the SA or Namibian cell phone operators
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Most of the area along the Orange are either covered by the SA or Namibian cell phone operators
    Cool stuff,

Thanks for the info Korrie.
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    A medial fund that will be willing to go out and pickup a patient should something happen.

Do you have cellphone coverage in the region?

If not how would you communicate during an emergency?

We take along an emergency satellite locator beacon. One can also rent a satellite phone which is the other option. The area that we normally visit has no cell reception. I think you loose it just outside Aussenkehr and I am not sure where you get signal again - possibly Rosh Pinah only?

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    We take along an emergency satellite locator beacon. One can also rent a satellite phone which is the other option. The area that we normally visit has no cell reception. I think you loose it just outside Aussenkehr and I am not sure where you get signal again - possibly Rosh Pinah only?
    There are cells along the way. there is sporadic signal all the way to Rosh Pinah from Vioolsdrift. The area isn't as remote as it used to be. basically medical emergencies can happen anywhere at anytime, but a bit of common sense goes a long way. A basic knowledge of first aid and elementary resuscitation and stabilising techniques will serve you well. I have been up to the various parts of the Orange river, Lesotho, Okavango, Zambia, dozens of times, with large and small groups of old men, young children, pregnant women etc, and only once had a medical issue, and we got the old guy out without any problem. Sat phones etc etc are uneccessary, unless you paranoid. You have more chance of getting killed on the road travelling there, then while you are there.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    There are cells along the way. there is sporadic signal all the way to Rosh Pinah from Vioolsdrift. The area isn't as remote as it used to be. basically medical emergencies can happen anywhere at anytime, but a bit of common sense goes a long way. A basic knowledge of first aid and elementary resuscitation and stabilising techniques will serve you well. I have been up to the various parts of the Orange river, Lesotho, Okavango, Zambia, dozens of times, with large and small groups of old men, young children, pregnant women etc, and only once had a medical issue, and we got the old guy out without any problem. Sat phones etc etc are uneccessary, unless you paranoid. You have more chance of getting killed on the road travelling there, then while you are there.
    Andre
    if the risk is "Travelling there" then maybe you should not be "travelling there?"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Andre
    if the risk is "Travelling there" then maybe you should not be "travelling there?"
    Im prepared to take the risk. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre
    You are getting on in years and I am not sure you should be taking these risks anymore.
    It is dangerous and your heart might not be able to handle the stress of the anticipated trek up north
    Korrie Broos

I know... ha ha Korrie... I really dont mind dying up there. will save a trip to scatter my ashes.:biggrin:

Andre
    I just had some feedback about your medical.

You failed it and will have to stay in Cape town and die in Cape Town.

But the good news is,

We will take your ashes with us and we will scatter it on the last day, at least you can enjoy the trip with us.
    Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast