Thread: Don't Rip Thier Lips Off

Default Don't Rip Thier Lips Off

Don’t Rip Their Lips Off.

I have fished with a lot of different people over the years I have been fly fishing and I am still amused or alarmed at the way some of them set the hook when the fly is accepted by a fish.

The vast majority seem to think you must apply a lot of speed and force to get a successful hook up and rip the line off the water and just about separate the poor fish’s head from its body, and the terrified fish bolts off in total confusion.

I like to lift the rod tip and as I feel the contact I apply a short backward twitch to the rod and the hook sets very nicely without alarming the fish too much and making it easier to handle.
    I use the same technique for both Dry Fly and Nymph fishing.

How do you set the hook when you are Out There Doing It?
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Depends a heap on species Jax.

Yep - trout, you need to simply tighten up.

Try doing that with wahoo or dogtooth tuna.
    You need to stick these thing pretty hard to get a hook to settle into the mouth.

The first time I fished for dogtooth I went 4 for zero just on hooking them and it wasn't that they were gently feeding.
    They have cylinder blocks for mouths, so getting the line to strip strike tight to the verge of busting off, all the better.

It also depends on the size and gauge of the hook you're fishing mate.
    Getting a little size 2 into a flats fish is a bit different to throwing a 6/0 hook and bigger for say GT's or the like.

Just my take on it.

Brilliant.
    Funny man that. :-)

No argument from me Re:- Salt water fishing Kevin. I dabble in it a bit and have great fun. Should have made it clear I was talking Fresh Water and Trout.http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/image...es/biggrin.png
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

You just have to get a hook stuck in your finger once, to realize how easily and tightly it gets imbedded with very little effort.......or so people tell me:wink:
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Tiger fish as well...you really got to hit them hard...the harder the better. Have you seen how those bass guys put their backs into setting the hook? Also with nymphing yellowfish, you cant just tighten up, you have to set with some speed, otherwise the fly gets spat out before you even know it.
    Yes trout generally you just tighten up, but depending on conditions. Sometimes on the streams, they take the fly so fast that you have to be wide awake. Just tightening up just doesn't happen quick enough.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I like to take the bottom jaw home as a momento of the day's fishing.
    a many dried out and hung on the wall
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension