Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dragons peak resort.

Awaiting bilharzia test results. Hopefully it's not.

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

Um, maybe things have changed with the blood tests recently but it takes a long time for the antibodies to appear in your blood after an infection. Like 4 weeks kind of long. No point being tested after your weekend trip unless you suspect other exposure in previous trips.
    Check your knots!

Were you kicking through weed beds? if so, i have had this before as there are lots of little small insects that live in there that give you a few nips...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Were you kicking through weed beds? if so, i have had this before as there are lots of little small insects that live in there that give you a few nips...
    Corixidae pack a bit of a bite, not so?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Could be them. I know that you even get this when you wade in shorts in weeded up areas of the Vaal. Thats why i use long pants.

In short you probably wont die :wink: Just keep an eye on how you feel. If you start feeling lethargic with sore muscles go see the doc.

My daughter got bilharzia from the lagoon in Zinkwazi and it wasnt a big deal.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Shot guys, not too worried. Legs are still itch as hell. Driving me crazy. Been putting them in a mixture of savlon and bi-carb, also put calamine lotion on. Still waiting for test results. Will also do a follow up test in about 3 months.

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

Test results are in and its negative. Doc recons very sensitive test so should pick it up immediately. Will still do a follow up test.

Sent from my PMP3007C3G using Tapatalk

As far as I know the Berg is not even in the Bilharzia area. What is the worry?

I might be wrong. Quick Google search:

http://www.reservoir.co.za/tap/tap_bilharzia-01.pdf

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/wsa/article/view/5023
    As intermediate host for Schistosoma mansoni, Biomphalaria pfeifferi plays a major role in the transmission of intestinal bilharziasis in the endemic areas of South Africa. This article focuses on the geographical distribution and habitats of this species, as reflected by the 1 639 samples on record in the database of the National Freshwater Snail Collection of South Africa. This snail is well represented in the Northern Province, Mpumalanga and the coastal areas of KwaZulu-Natal, that represent the bilharzia endemic areas of South Africa. Details of each habitat, as well as mean altitude and mean annual temperature and rainfall of each locality, were processed to determine chi-square and effect size values and to construct an integrated decision tree that makes a selection of those variables that could maximally discriminate between this snail and all the other species in the database. The results indicated that temperature and type of water-body are the major factors determining the distribution of B. pfeifferi in South Africa. These findings support the results of demographic studies reported by several authors that led them to the conclusion that B. pfeifferi does best under warm stable conditions. The importance of four isolated and persistent foci occurring further west than the western arm of its range of distribution and far removed from the bilharzia endemic areas, is discussed. Two of these localities are popular holiday resorts and the fact that specimens from both these localities showed a high compatibility with a local strain of S. mansoni is cause for concern.

I sincerely hope that flyingbass does not have Bilharzia. But his plight does bring to mind the time my buddy and I thought we were victims.

On our early morning visit to the toilet one day we both peed Red. Well the alarm bells rang and we told his mother who had a look and we were sent off to see the doctor.

The Doctor having examined a specimen of our urine asked us if we had been eating Beetroot. We admitted that we had cooked up some in an old jam tin Tramp Style the night before the drama.

Everybody was relieved it was not Bilharzia and a nearby neighbour found out who his Clandestine Beetroot Raiders were. He thought we had been punished enough.

Ones follies often have a strange way of laying one low.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast