Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Youth Nationals Rhodes

Default Youth Nationals Rhodes

I see that the Youth Nationals in Rhodes, went off without a hitch and some good fishing was done. Again WP took top honours, with young Luke Baker running away with it.
    Well done guys.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I had the pleasure to meet some of the lads. Talented bunch of kids. Sadly, some of the fathers and coaches have attitudes larger than life itself. Very sad trying to be someone through your child

Won't say things went without a hitch. There were issues (as one would expect at any large event). The lads battled in the low water conditions, but I really believed they all went home better anglers after slogging it out in tough circumstances.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I had the pleasure to meet some of the lads. Talented bunch of kids. Sadly, some of the fathers and coaches have attitudes larger than life itself. Very sad trying to be someone through your child
    You see this at almost every cricket match, rugby game, tennis championships etc.
    Sometimes the kids reach the pinnacle of that sport because of the parents that are like that.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    You see this at almost every cricket match, rugby game, tennis championships etc.
    Sometimes the kids reach the pinnacle of that sport because of the parents that are like that.
    You mean dicks? I'm sure their kids will go very far then
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Also note, SOME of them, definitely not all of them. 95% of everyone I ran into were superb with superb attitudes.
    Mario Geldenhuys

. 95% of everyone I ran into were superb with superb attitudes.
    As with all people in all walks of life.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    As with all people in all walks of life.
    It only takes one to spoil it sadly.

Different tangent ... there was a really young laaitie (not derogatory) that could not have been older than 12 (I'm guessing) that really looked a prospect for the future. I don't know his name so I could not follow his progress through the tournament, but prior to the comp, he caught big fish every day. Was really nice to see such a young kid doing so well. I think he is from WP. He is going to kick some butt over the next few years.
    Mario Geldenhuys

No it doesn't actually. It takes people with character to look beyond the one, and to see the big picture. Depend if you look at the glass half full, or half empty. Some people will always find the small negative in any situation, while others will always look at it as a positive.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    No it doesn't actually. It takes people with character to look beyond the one, and to see the big picture. Depend if you look at the glass half full, or half empty. Some people will always find the small negative in any situation, while others will always look at it as a positive.
    Quote the rest of that post for a glass that is BOTH half full AND half empty. Iow, what it really is. It cannot be either, it can only be both.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Different tangent ... there was a really young laaitie (not derogatory) that could not have been older than 12 (I'm guessing) that really looked a prospect for the future. I don't know his name so I could not follow his progress through the tournament, but prior to the comp, he caught big fish every day. Was really nice to see such a young kid doing so well. I think he is from WP. He is going to kick some butt over the next few years.
    There are 2 youngsters of that age that are serious prospects for the future. Super young boys. Keen as mustard.
    With a burning desire to learn more and just want to fish the whole day.
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast