Thread: Many a true word spoken in jest

Default Many a true word spoken in jest

Personally I've become a bit disillusioned with ff in general in SA.
    Yes there are elitists and yes there are Vaal warriors but for me personally flyfishing was in a better place 15 years ago when people who could cast fly-fished and people who could spell tied flies.

This thread would be one of my last contributions to this site and as the title suggests it would be based on the old adage "Many a true word spoken in jest." Or how the new breed of nymphers like to refer to it: " As die blou proppie val kom die waarheid uit." - please excuse me if I might have gotten the spelling or grammar correct.

here goes: I am very glad that a big group of closet papswaaiers and boatless bass fisherman discovered that they too can catch a fish on fly by using artificial bait and a dobbertjie on the Vaal.

More fisherman=import quantity = better price and wider variety for those who can spell.

You should see america - I was fishing a small Great Lakes river, swinging flies, and was encountered by many "Papgooiers" whose main tactic was to cast some sort of bait called fish spawn which i guessed was fish eggs of some sort (round and orange balls), and dead drift it downstream under a dobbertjie. As an outsider i did not comment but my guide and the other fly fishermen had nothing bad to say about these guys and it seemed that they co-existed rather happily as long as everyone respected each others' space and did not encroach, and this was never an issue.

I guess the two points are
    1) That your issue is not a South African only issue, especially on publically accesible water where there is no beat system, and
    2) If we could all just get along and respect each other, there is enough water for us all to fish happily. Fly fishers are seen as elite and so others are defensive - maybe it's up to us to show that we have no issue with other types of fishermen around us and treat them with respect, and they would do the same. I guess to do this, we might have to try treat our fellow fly fishermen with respect, which i see on this forum lately we are not very good at doing so maybe the problem is more with us than with the papgooiers.

Anyways, i am not sure why your concern of fly fishers vs papgooiers would cause you to want to leave the site, but having interacted with you for so many years from TFG days all through the guises of Flytalk, it will be sad to see you go.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Perhaps this is something worth reading at a time like this:

http://venturingangler.com/2015/10/2...y-fishing-now/
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Im really not sure that I fully understand your post, but if I may clarify....Are you complaining that fly fishing has lost its purity, with people nymphing the Vaal and chasing species that are not traditional fly fishing quarry?
    Perhaps you are experiencing some frustration due to things not being done quite as they were in the "good old days". I think that this could apply to most sports and hobbies. The purist cricket lovers, find the 20/20 version of the game detestable. Even rugby purists dont really take 7's rugby seriously. Mororing enthusiast, still are drawn towards vehicles from a bygone era, when motoring was a romantic pastime. Fly fishing has not escaped the mutations of modernisation. But, we are fortunate, in that the rivers where we fish, and the fish that we catch, haven't really changed much., so we can still do it exactly how it was done in the past. We have the choice, and we should feel free to do what makes us happy.
    For me personally, I will miss you.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

sorry to inform you that your resignation has been revoked. due to some crazy weather patterns and year-end pressures, its best we hear who or what has p!$$ed you off.