Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: active dry flies for yellows

sorry, been away in europe for two weeks, left paris thursday evening

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Ek het al gesien en hoor hoe SM caddis van die oppervlak suig en dan klink dit soos 'n bulldog wat pap en melk uit 'n vlak bak eet.
    ja boet, my afrikaans nie die beste, maar vra ek net of die sm die caddis vat as die caddis op en af vlieg op die water se oppervlak. die ding jy geskryf het, klink dit dat die sm 'n moerse tyd as hy caddis eet

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    sorry, been away in europe for two weeks, left paris thursday evening

ja boet, my afrikaans nie die beste, maar vra ek net of die sm die caddis vat as die caddis op en af vlieg op die water se oppervlak. die ding jy geskryf het, klink dit dat die sm 'n moerse tyd as hy caddis eet
    Ja, hulle het 'n moerse tyd.
    Another very effective way to catch the SM is on swinging dry flies across and down or emergers.
    They work very well with the across and down method.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

hi Korrie, skating a fly across downstream as been mentioned as an effective method in the pass however, i have spend many hours trying this method. i have cast the fly into still water then pulled into moving water, cast the fly to moving water, cast below the rapid, cast the fly just before the rapid. begining to beleive that this method for yellows is a myth. this method has caught me many trout so it does work but has let me down when fishing for the yellows. have you personally or anyone else here caught yellows on this method.
    this also goes for bouncing a dry. has landed me trout, some nice ones too, but has never pulled a yellow. i have adjusted both dropper and point lengths and have allowed the dry sit longer on the water before making it bounce to no avail

Jiri Klima showed this to me, whilst we where doing a his Nymphing Master Class.
    Since then, I have incorporated it in my Nymphing Master Class with the Weighted Surface nymphing (Italian style)
    I do not get to the Vaal or Orange as much as I want to, but every time I am on the water, I make sure to catch at least one fish this way, sometimes a lot of fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

thanks Korrie, i'll keep on trying because both these methods are more exciting to me than just a dry fly drifting downstream

Another very very important factor is the speed of the drift and swing!!!!

Sometimes the the fish want it almost the same speed as the water, other times a HUGE V DRAG other times stationery.
    It will pay to practice your mending to decrease or increase speed of the drifting dragging fly
    Korrie Broos

PS: the takes are sometimes very vicious agressive takes, as the fish shoots from the bottom to the surface to grab this fly.
    Korrie Broos

thanks for the tips Korrie, i really appreciate it and when we meet on day, beers on me.

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    thanks for the tips Korrie, i really appreciate it and when we meet on day, beers on me.
    A dozen or so for me will be fine.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    A dozen or so for me will be fine.
    oooh yes, that's how i like my friends to be, comfortable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast