Thread: Parys flyfishers

Default Parys flyfishers

Hi good people

I have question for those who frequent the water around Parys..
    I am looking to book a weekend for myself and my fiance in Parys and obviously im looking at any place with direct access to top notch fly water (nice rapids/gluides etc). I see the water underneath/around the bridge towards Potch look really inviting and i wonder is it possible to fish here? I guess my question is more in line of how much river is accesable and fishable from the roads in town? And is there people who do this often or will it be frowned upon?

I would stilll book into a lodge since it is more about also giving the missus a nice weekend but since I live in Potch, future day trips are never a problem. From google maps / street view I see the river on the western parts of Parys look fantastic with good structure and river banks that arent overgrown with vegetation, and it looks simple enough to park your car and enter the river for some fishing??

Also on a simliar note, which resorts/lodges could anyone suggest thats on lekker fly fishing water in or around and is also well priced and not too "rustic". I dont mind rustic but ja the fiance...

Regards
    H

Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I can tell you that the fishing in Parys itself (public water) is really hard fishing, at least for me. I take a stroll down to the river every now and again just to fish a bit for the heck of it, and it always amazes me how much more fish there is at the resorts compared to the public water in Parys. It's two different rivers. Wading is also seriously difficult, definitely take your best wading boots and if you do the stick thing, don't leave home without it.

The water I fish is around the bridge as it's closest to where I stay and as far as public water go is probably the best water around for smallmouth that I know of, but I'm no Ed Stafford so there could be better places.

I've never stayed or fished there, but the water at Sunwa looks really good to me. Not sure if the kayakers will be a nuisance though.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 09-11-15 at 09:51 PM.

The river bottom in Parys is too rocky, less insect life as a result and hence crap water I've fished it all. The first really good water to fish is at a place called sandgat which is the first set of rapids directly below Grewer ave. I wouldn't park and fish if I was you unless you have a spotter watching your car!!!!! As far as accommodation is concerned phone Parys info.

Ps. I know a couple of good Guesthouses.

Thanks for the feedback guys even though i was not hoping to hear its a waste of time to fish there haha!

As far as guest houses and lodges i'm spoilt for choice but i was more wondering for the the next time i go for a day trip to parys and dont feel like shopping with the fiance and or i go for a weekend and stay in a guest house thats not on the water then i would have considered sampling this stretch of water. I was also inferring more towards the area below grewer ave and not above that "weir" side but even the water running underneath the bridge i thought looked promising for smallmouths. The flat rocks between rapids will be a fresh change to the hazardous wading over submerged boulders that i'm used to!

Really appreciate the info!

Why dont you take her to Elgro River Lodge. Good quality accommodation and great fishing
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Why dont you take her to Elgro River Lodge. Good quality accommodation and great fishing
    I agree Elgro is close to you, excellent fishing, fantastic accommodation and much better than dealing with the hordes visiting Parys on a weekend competing for a parking spot and looking at antiques that are way over priced... You can spoil your fiance with spa treatments, it costs less than shopping in most cases and you can hit the river and fish, everyone is happy.... It works for me... Good luck and enjoy..
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.