Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good eating fish?

Recipe for Carp

Do not use carp bigger than 45cm overall length
    Larger than this, taste muddy.

1. after carp is caught, cut off head and bleed. This is very important to do first
    2. Gut the carp only now.
    3. take of skin
    4. if carp does smell muddy, soak for 2 hours in milk.
    5. cut the carp in cylinder steaks about 30mm thick.
    6. salt generous, rub with crushed garlic.
    7 heat pan for oven or stove, with a dollop of butter a bit of oil and fresh crushed garlic per steak and a bit of cummin.
    8. heat pan or oven and place the fish in butter/oil/garlic/cummin and salt.
    9. cook/fry until cook. a fork should slide very easy into the fish.

DO NOT OVER COOK OR UNDERCOOK.
    I have eaten it this way, really delicious.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Not sure how to gain access but years ago there was a guy on flytalk that used to fish Shongweni dam for bass and the bream species there - he caught some decent quality bream and if nothing has changed it should be good quality water. I guess with the KZN drought i am not sure how much water is in there though.

If you can figure out how to get access (it might be easy, no idea - never tried), it could be a good option and the bream should be nice eating (if you are allowed to keep them).
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Thanks guys that all sounds good. And thanks for the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Recipe for Carp

Do not use carp bigger than 45cm overall length
    Larger than this, taste muddy.

1. after carp is caught, cut off head and bleed. This is very important to do first
    2. Gut the carp only now.
    3. take of skin
    4. if carp does smell muddy, soak for 2 hours in milk.
    5. cut the carp in cylinder steaks about 30mm thick.
    6. salt generous, rub with crushed garlic.
    7 heat pan for oven or stove, with a dollop of butter a bit of oil and fresh crushed garlic per steak and a bit of cummin.
    8. heat pan or oven and place the fish in butter/oil/garlic/cummin and salt.
    9. cook/fry until cook. a fork should slide very easy into the fish.

DO NOT OVER COOK OR UNDERCOOK.
    I have eaten it this way, really delicious.
    With most of my carp caught being from Coastal Park, it is really really difficult for me to get any positive thought in my head about eating these fish. Even if i incinerate the the fish and then put the ashes in an autoclave for a year then make a meal from it, i would still battle to stick the meal in my mouth.

:frown:
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Grant
    I agree, Coastal park is the last place where i would eat a carp from.
    There are a couple of dams that I know that have clean water with some carp in.
    The Berg River, 2 or 3 km below the dam has carp in that is probably as clean as you will get.
    Almost no farm runoff in terms of pesticides or fertilizer, clean water coming out of Berg River dam.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

IPlease note, I was very single and lived alone in a big farm house when I did the below.

I love barbel but in the tugela they have a muddy taste.
    What I would do is catch a keeper below spionkop dam. Pop it in a bucket and take it home.
    Using borehole water I would fill my bath up. Pop barbel in and feed bread crumbs off the top. The trick is to change the water twice daily until the water remains clear. This cleans the mud.
    I would then give the maid the fish to clean for me in the morning and leave in milk until I got home.
    I would then crumb in flour or maize meal for a crunch.
    Bloody delicious

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbeast View Post
    IPlease note, I was very single and lived alone in a big farm house when I did the below.

I love barbel but in the tugela they have a muddy taste.
    What I would do is catch a keeper below spionkop dam. Pop it in a bucket and take it home.
    Using borehole water I would fill my bath up. Pop barbel in and feed bread crumbs off the top. The trick is to change the water twice daily until the water remains clear. This cleans the mud.
    I would then give the maid the fish to clean for me in the morning and leave in milk until I got home.
    I would then crumb in flour or maize meal for a crunch.
    Bloody delicious

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Classic.
    But the barbel has great meat.
    Korrie Broos

Largemouth bass - pan fried in some herb butter - delicious!
    Bream/Kurper - pan fried in some herb butter
    trout - pan fried in some herb butter or smoked with oak chips and/or rooibos tea

biggest mistake is to overcook any of them
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Carp Recipe:
    Take a nice thick carp fillet and place it on a piece of cardboard. Cover it on both sides with melted butter and scatter it with carmelized onions. Sprinkle the carp with plenty of salt and pepper. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes at 200 degrees. Remove it from the oven, throw away the carp, and eat the cardboard.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Carp Recipe:
    Take a nice thick carp fillet and place it on a piece of cardboard. Cover it on both sides with melted butter and scatter it with carmelized onions. Sprinkle the carp with plenty of salt and pepper. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes at 200 degrees. Remove it from the oven, throw away the carp, and eat the cardboard.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Hahahahaha! That's how i feel Kevin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast