Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 9ft 3 wt rod

Yes I know how it was rated, which makes my own impression of the rod, quite surprising. Of course Yellowstone would rate it highly. That doesn't surprise me as I have never heard of a "bad review" from them, only comparisons, which are so subjective, that they are actually quite laughable. Remember I can only state my impressions and opinions, but compared to how I remember my old Streamflex, and compared to the "top line rods" that I currently fish with, it was quite a sad performance. Basically, in my opinion, Greys have gone backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    That is weird Andre.The greys xf2 was rated quite highly on one of yellowstone anglers reviews last year or the year before.
    These rods won the best rod overall for "trout & salmon" magazine a year or two ago (trying to find the link)
    I have the xf2 in a 3wt 10ft version and its fantastic.

I guess we are all very different in our preferences
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Fly rod choice is highly subjective and i have a few greys reels and products which i love.I think this is a great brand for those wanting high performance at a mid range price.
    There are some other brands at the same pricepoint which i feel are pretty poor compared to greys stuff.Once again this is just my opinion.
    Andre if you had to buy a rod in the op's price range what would you recommend?

If I were to buy a rod in that price range, I really have no idea. The OP said it was for Cape streams, dry fly applications only. I made my recommendation according to what I believe it the most suitable type of rod taper for the application. A shortish, around 8 feet, medium to fast rod. I have no idea of what rod could be bought for the price , as I tend to go for rods that suit the application. Rod performance, is application specific, because if the rod doesn't suit the application, its performance is poor. If it does suit the application, its performance is good, so therefore "performance is a subjective thing anyway. So when you say, "high performance" at a mid range price, what do you actually mean when you consider the rod in the OP's original requirement as "Cape stream work, dry fly only"?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Fly rod choice is highly subjective and i have a few greys reels and products which i love.I think this is a great brand for those wanting high performance at a mid range price.
    There are some other brands at the same pricepoint which i feel are pretty poor compared to greys stuff.Once again this is just my opinion.
    Andre if you had to buy a rod in the op's price range what would you recommend?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far, so if I were to look in the 8 ft range still staying with a 3wt, would you guys still recommend the Grey's?
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

8 is fine
    9 is great
    10 is the perfect number
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    8 is fine
    9 is great
    10 is the perfect number
    11 is heaven ... apparently ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Jacques,

Redington makes an 8'6" Classic Trout rod, in my opinion a great rod. Around R 2500.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Jacques,

Redington makes an 8'6" Classic Trout rod, in my opinion a great rod. Around R 2500.00.
    I have fished it, lovely rod, nice soft action, deep bending, very similar to the bamboo action.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    11 is heaven ... apparently ....
    Have not reached that destination. But working my way up.
    Korrie Broos

Stealth deep red 8'4" 2wt. Absolutely fantastic rod. I would redo the ferrule wrappings before they give issues but honestly one of the best suited rods to for Cape stream dry fly I have used. I haven't used the 3wt 8'4 but I assume it will also be really nice. In your price range I would really look no further than a deep red
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2