Thread: G's "Pap en Vleis" Crab fly

Default G's "Pap en Vleis" Crab fly

A peeler Crab pattern designed for Largemouth Yellowfish! The black version performs very well in murky water.

The name won't make sense to you right now but maybe one day around the campfire I'll tell the story about the origin of the name.....actually very fitting! :wink:

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S #4. (Busy testing Gama Octopus circle hooks working great thus far!!!!)
    Thread: Nanosilk 12/0 hot orange.
    Eyes: 4mm Ibalz.
    Pinchers: Black Marabou.
    Body / Legs: Black Deer hair.
    Carapace: 1x Felt body glued on top using Wonda fix. (Optional)
    Weedguard: 57lb Mono.

Step 1
    De-barb hook and insert hook into vice. Rotate hook.

Step 2
    Attach your tying thread and tie in the dumbell on top of shank measuring 3mm from the start of the hook eye. Add glue.

Step 3
    Tie in a Marabou feather at it’s tip side and wrap forward to hook point. Do not trap any fibers. Pinch the fibers short do not cut! Must be as long as the shank.

Step 4
    Form a dubbing loop at the hook point and insert DH fibers. Wrap forward to behind dumbbells and with each wrap stroke hair fibers back. Tie off and add glue.

Step 5
    Return vice to normal position. Using a blade cut the hair flush. Do the same with the other side but now use a scissor.

Step 6
    Turn vice around again and glue on one felt crab body using Wonda Fix.

Step 7
    Tie in weed guard.

Pap-Vleis-Crab.jpg DSC2388.jpg GERR5959.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 24-12-15 at 11:04 PM.

Nice fly Gerrit!

Sure this fly in lighter colours will work nicely in the salt as well, minus the weedguard. I wanted to asks few questions in regards to how you fish this fly, firstly do you fish it mostly static and maybe in the current or strip it? Lastly have you landed any smallmouths on it as a by catch?

I am interested as I have heard many "Pap gooiers" say crabs are one of the best baits for yellowfish.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Thanx Konrad, this fly has been the guilty party for some beast fish in the last 3 years an absolute fish slayer of note!

You fish it dead drifted along edges WITH CURRENT in water >1m deep. The secret to it's success is to look for crab holes in the bank and get it as close as possible to the edge and to present the fly with a plop tuck cast, no mending no retrieve nothing and strip strike when you get a bite. With the circle hooks you can still strike but I try not to.... Me/clients have landed numerous 3kg+ Smallies on this fly!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-12-15 at 02:42 PM.

all i can say is, out with my buggers and in with the new pap 'n vleis. thanks for sharing Gerrit

No worries Dollar glad to share!