Thread: De Hoop Dam Mpumalanga

Default De Hoop Dam Mpumalanga

I did some bass fishing this December at De Hoop dam in Mpumalanga, halfway between Roossenekal and Steelpoort on the Steelpoort river. It is a great new dam (11km long) that bass fishermen love, but also holds fortunes of yellowfish.

Does anyone know whether these would be small scale or large scale yellowfish?

For those who have a boat with an electric motor and are interested in chasing schools of yellows, the shallows along the northwestern bank offer great volumes of fish. Visibility is around 2m and the fish are not spooky at all. I found yellows in various numbers along all the banks.
    The launch is the old main road and thus super easy, and there is accommodation nearby (Google Vosrus).

When I return I will definitely take a fly rod. Would the fly selection be any different to what would attract SM yellows?

See the picture for the kind of structure in some areas - short casts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks Circus for the heads up, planing to visit very soon and will load the fly rod, sounds like dry fly venue like sterkies.

Dollar, for dry fly, try targeting schools next to mostly submerged trees where only the very top of the bush/tree is sticking out. Lots of rises in these areas.
    And be sure to check the weather - if windfinder shows Groblersdal as having less than 5 knots of wind, the dam should be glassy and rises easy to spot.

Looks awesome. I drove past it a few times back when it was still being constructed and wondered if it would hold a good number of yellows when completed. So this is great to hear. and how was the bass fishing?

Sam, the bass fishing is superb. Big bass, interesting structure, quality site fishing opportunities.

1.jpg