Thread: Deep Sea Flies - advice

Default Deep Sea Flies - advice

Hi all

Any advice or experience with flies for targetting reef fish off a boat at sea? And perhaps plumbing for kob?

Got an outing coming up (local Mossel Bay waters) and am considering loading another reel with a lead core line, in addition to the floating set-up for targetting leerie and bonnies.

I have seen some images of master Henkie Altena with various species caught on what looks like a (big) fluffy squid imitation of sorts.

Appreciate the help!

When you say deep sea, what depth will you be plumbing.
    Deep dredging is one of my most favourite ways to fish reefs as there are so many varieties of fish.
    You can effectively fish to 25 meters but after that it becomes hard.....even more so if there is a raging current.

If I could make a suggestion and say load up with T14 rather than lead lines it makes a big difference to sink rate.

Ideally you want the fly to be heavy to sink as fast if not faster than the line to be able to keep in contact.

To be honest, the reef fish are going to crunch anything that comes down looking like food.
    My go to flies are big clousers with lots of movement in the tail and collar.
    Think marabou, rabbit strips etc.
    I also like a lot of flash for deeper water as it stands out well.

Try get the fly really deep before retrieving and hang on.

Good luck.

Great insights, thanks Kevin

Will update with (hopefully successful) results