Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Otters vs Trout

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    If they really bother you then trap a few of them in a sherman trap and relocate them. Please leave a few behind though as they are definitely a nice addition to the scenery.
    I KNOW!! ... trap the mothers .. and release them at Mill Stream!!! .. I am sure Old MJ will appreciate the extra wildlife!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I KNOW!! ... trap the mothers .. and release them at Mill Stream!!! .. I am sure Old MJ will appreciate the extra wildlife!!
    Yeah, then you can feed them some of those Eukanuba flies the folk rave about at Mill Stream
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Yeah, then you can feed them some of those Eukanuba flies the folk rave about at Mill Stream
    YES .. that might work!! .. NOT debarbed flies either!! .... 20lb leader!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Cape clawless otters are very common up here, we even have hordes of them in Pretoria. While they will certainly eat a few trout they are a lot more fond of crabs, have a look at their scat.

If they really bother you then trap a few of them in a sherman trap and relocate them. Please leave a few behind though as they are definitely a nice addition to the scenery.
    Did you mean Sherman Tank?

Ours have long since eaten all the crabs and now love my trout. We stock 100kg every month and I reckon they eat half!

They would be a nice addition to the scenery anywhere that is 100km from here!
    Last edited by Matuka; 26-06-07 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post

Ours have long since eaten all the crabs and now love my trout. We stack 100kg every month and I reckon they eat half!

They would be a nice addition to the scenery anywhere that is 100km from here!
    AAAAAAAAAAH .. now I see the problem!! ... you are STACKING your trout!! ... not stocking them .. try putting your trout in the water ... at least give your otters a challenge!!

THAT WAS A QUICK SPELLING CORRECTION!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    Definintely meant Sherman trap - it works with bait and pressure plates and is used to trap all sort of birds, rodents, leopards etc. It is really effective. I'll chat to my brother and see if any of his mates at varsity are doing projects on otters and maybe we can work something out. Big problem would be where to release them?
    Check your knots!

Release them in my back yard ... hmmm ... think of all the flies you could tie with the fur from one pelt...

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Release them in my back yard ... hmmm ... think of all the flies you could tie with the fur from one pelt...
    NOW you are talking!!! .... so Mr Matuka ... maybe use the .22 instead of the 12 bore!! .. less damage to the skin!!

Definintely meant Sherman trap - it works with bait and pressure plates and is used to trap all sort of birds, rodents, leopards etc. It is really effective. I'll chat to my brother and see if any of his mates at varsity are doing projects on otters and maybe we can work something out. Big problem would be where to release them?
    That would be great. Perhaps the Parks Board will take them from us, for release?

Default The solution

Attachment 957

here you go Boet!! ... problem solved!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast