Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ideal rod length for nymphing

Thanks Grant.

Circus, thanks for the info. I will still go down to a 5wt but not a 4wt for the vaal.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

I agree with Grant, #5 10ft it should be, now the only question is, should you buy a SAGE....

With what you described, i would recommend a general application rod of any brand TFO, SAGE, Stealth, whatever blows your hair back, that way, you can use it on dams if you go trout hunting as well.

With regard to balance, just buy a larger(heavier) reel, then the 10ft feels lighter again.

For some of the areas where bigger SM are encountered, I would even suggest a #6.
    A #5 is a bit light for some of the big SM that we catch in some areas.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    For some of the areas where bigger SM are encountered, I would even suggest a #6.
    A #5 is a bit light for some of the big SM that we catch in some areas.
    I think GGY fishes with a #6 and Jiri Pejchar on his recent trip to SA, also commented that a #6 will be ideal in most waters due to the size of the fish
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Grant, I pretty much agree, although I was hoping for some debate around this, hence I raised some points to ponder, and not to open up a can of worms. I think that people when asking about an "ideal" rod for certain applications, as it is in the first post of this thread, it all too often goes very general, and people start recommending a brand before even understanding what the needs of the application are. I realise that too often we tend to over complicate things, but there are very good reasons why some rods are better suited to certain types and styles of fishing, that others. Just my analytical mind doing a bit of gymnastics.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    cut the cr*p people - 5wt 10ft klaar.

If you want to do Inverse Lebanese Angular Nymphing you might have a problem, but besides that its a great length for most of what you want to do.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thank you Andre,

Too be honest. I don't fish nearly enough to justify spending the money on a Sage, but wouldn't mind buying one. I haven't fished the Vaal in probably 4 years. and really want to get back out and do some fishing. But lugging my 5wt 2pc infinity around is a mission and I would actually like a slightly better rod that folds up smaller.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

I hear you, but there again, what Sage would you buy to do what you believe would be best performed by a Sage? Remember that until recent years, there hasn't been a Sage model that has been ideally suited to nymphing applications, especially the SA adaptation of the Czech style that we tend to see on the Vaal. To me, a sage is a glossly overrated rod for yellowfish nymphing, and unless you have a very specific need for a particular characteristic that no other rod can provide, you would be wasting your money. Don't get me wrong, Sage make some lovely rods, and I have a few, but for the Vaal... total waste unless you are able to bring out some of the finer points of the rod to your advantage. But, with respect, the way that you describe your fishing, you don't need a Sage.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Thank you Andre,

Too be honest. I don't fish nearly enough to justify spending the money on a Sage, but wouldn't mind buying one. I haven't fished the Vaal in probably 4 years. and really want to get back out and do some fishing. But lugging my 5wt 2pc infinity around is a mission and I would actually like a slightly better rod that folds up smaller.
    Last edited by Andre; 29-03-16 at 04:22 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    cut the cr*p people - 5wt 10ft klaar.

If you want to do Inverse Lebanese Angular Nymphing you might have a problem, but besides that its a great length for most of what you want to do.
    Hear hear freak all these essay's about the 1004 types of nymphing hehehe! Gaan vang hulle net ffs!

the thing with nymphing is that it has evolved so much in the last 20 years.
    The problem is that some people are still doing the LLL nymphing method, and there is so many more styles and techniques to do, that different rods will give you so much more enjoyment.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I hear you, but there again, what Sage would you buy to do what you believe would be best performed by a Sage? Remember that until recent years, there hasn't been a Sage model that has been ideally suited to nymphing applications, especially the SA adaptation of the Czech style that we tend to see on the Vaal. To me, a sage is a glossly overrated rod for yellowfish nymphing, and unless you have a very specific need for a particular characteristic that no other rod can provide, you would be wasting your money. Don't get me wrong, Sage make some lovely rods, and I have a few, but for the Vaal... total waste unless you are able to bring out some of the finer points of the rod to your advantage. But, with respect, the way that you describe your fishing, you don't need a Sage.
    You don't need to add that little bit. I will be the first to admit I'm a pretty *** fisherman. :biggrin:

I really enjoy the time out on the water and not having to worry about the hustle and bustle and work issues. A good day on the water for me is catching more than one fish on a day. Just imagine if I catch like 8 or 9.

In terms of the rod, I figured a TFO, Stealth Magnum or a Explorer guide II would do the trick for me.
    Frederick

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast