Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pristine rivers/streams in Mpumalanga

Hyenas are definatly known for attacking humans. Its a total myth that they don't attack adults. hyenas are responsible for more attacks in Africa than lions and leopards combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Then the leopard is your actual problem. Hyenas is not known for attacking humans, adults anyway. But leopard will make a short meal of you.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If its "pristine" that you are looking for, then go for the numerous largescale and smalscale streams in Mpumalanga that Korrie has mentioned. If the stream has trout and/or bass, it isn't pristine, as these are alien species.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have had this real strong urge since I started fly fishing 15 years ago, to fish a pristine stretch of a river or stream like you capetonians have. Sadly due to the state of our rivers and streams in my area (Middelburg), this urge or lets call it a dream has never materialized.

I long to fish a stretch of a river or stream, using dry flies (cause thats the dream).

So this thread has a dual purpose:

1. To find out of possible rivers and streams to fish in that is healthy.

2. To get ideas as to what equipment will be best suited for this venture.

Now the species to target do not matter, what matters most is the soul cleansing scenery in which these species live. Be it yellows, browns or rainbows even bass as long as you can get your feet wet wading (read hunting) to get within casting range.

See it's all about the pursuit, it's the journey that counts. I no longer feel the need to catch xxxx amout of fish, but rather to enjoy the quality of nature with the fishing being a bonus.

Cheers
    George
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    If its "pristine" that you are looking for, then go for the numerous largescale and smalscale streams in Mpumalanga that Korrie has mentioned. If the stream has trout and/or bass, it isn't pristine, as these are alien species.
    True though I think those are very few and far between. Lets define pristine as for this thread as a unpoluted healthy river/stream, preferably with crystal clear water.
    George Victor Cooper

Yup agree. For yellows in pristine streams in Mpumalanga, you might need to get hold of a guide in the area, because access is generally very difficult and mostly on private land. I think the best in the area is Horst Filter, but I am sure there are others.
    The other alternative, is to come to the Cape for a few days. It might be worth it. Season is almost at an end so wait until September and try make a plan. Otherwise a trip to Rhodes isn't really a back breaker from Johannesburg, and if you haven't fished there before, its well worth the trip. Wherever you decide to go, make sure to do your homework thoughroughly.
    True though I think those are very few and far between. Lets define pristine as for this thread as a unpoluted healthy river/stream, preferably with crystal clear water.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Dont forget Rust De Winter and the Elands River, big crocs, and what, 80 - 90 km's out of Pretoria...
    oh and while I am at it...I saw a beautiful pair of African Finfoot in the Elands river.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Then the leopard is your actual problem. Hyenas is not known for attacking humans, adults anyway. But leopard will make a short meal of you.
    Ha ha sure buddy...

Plenty very good rivers in mp but you can't ask that sort of question on a forum.

Get in touch with some guides and look to the upper Vaal. They'll get you access to good private water within an hour or two of Standerton for SM and LM yellows.

Rivers and streams north of Bethal all flow into the Komati or Oliphants, bar some water transfer schemes. This is LS and SS country, again bar the odd schema transferred fish. Again, good guides are out there and will get you into the action.

There's fosaf, there's the yellowish research group, there's the CSIR and numerous environmental agencies who can help with info but do the leg work, don't just expect "pristine" to be bandied about on a forum...

Ouwerf would be a start, they used to advertise years ago but I haven't been in touch with them for years.

Here's an idea, leave your car in pilgrims rest, pack a hiking tent some provisions and hike a day or 2 upstream on the blyde, not all legal but almost no risk of problems, wild trout, only fished by plantation workers, and further up you will have a whole valley to yourself
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Quote Originally Posted by sybie99 View Post
    Here's an idea, leave your car in pilgrims rest, pack a hiking tent some provisions and hike a day or 2 upstream on the blyde, not all legal but almost no risk of problems, wild trout, only fished by plantation workers, and further up you will have a whole valley to yourself

I like the way you think, but so not know the area at all.

Do you have experience with the area?

Would I be trespassing on some oomie's land or is it mostly government owned?
    George Victor Cooper

I like the way you think, but so not know the area at all.

Do you have experience with the area?

Would I be trespassing on some oomie's land or is it mostly government owned?
    Do you need a hiking partner? :wink:
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast