Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pristine rivers/streams in Mpumalanga

Default Pristine rivers/streams in Mpumalanga

Hi guys,

I have had this real strong urge since I started fly fishing 15 years ago, to fish a pristine stretch of a river or stream like you capetonians have. Sadly due to the state of our rivers and streams in my area (Middelburg), this urge or lets call it a dream has never materialized.

I long to fish a stretch of a river or stream, using dry flies (cause thats the dream).

So this thread has a dual purpose:

1. To find out of possible rivers and streams to fish in that is healthy.

2. To get ideas as to what equipment will be best suited for this venture.

Now the species to target do not matter, what matters most is the soul cleansing scenery in which these species live. Be it yellows, browns or rainbows even bass as long as you can get your feet wet wading (read hunting) to get within casting range.

See it's all about the pursuit, it's the journey that counts. I no longer feel the need to catch xxxx amout of fish, but rather to enjoy the quality of nature with the fishing being a bonus.

Cheers
    George
    George Victor Cooper

Hi, In your area there are lots of small "spruite" as they call them, that are prisitine with SM and LM yellows.
    Drive thru the area, Middelburg, Carolina, Ermelo, Hendrina, Chrissiesmeer, Lothair, towards Standerton. All feeder streams to the Vaal.
    You also have the upper Vaal area, where it starts, with good populations of fish.
    Some are so narrow and you can jump across the streams, hike along those streams, you will find fish.
    I spent a long time fishing in that area.
    Once you realise how many fish in a small stream, you will think you are in fly fishing heaven.
    use small hoppers, caddis etc and your dry fly dreams will come true.
    Any rod from #3 to a #5 will be suffice
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

When you drive on the N4 towards Witbank, there is a game reserve of sorts on the leftjand side of the road. There is a small river that flows down into a fairly large dam. Have you tried to get in there? I always drive past it and want to go fish it.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-25.8...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

olifants.jpg
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Treur & Blyde River's will tick your boxes.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi, In your area there are lots of small "spruite" as they call them, that are prisitine with SM and LM yellows.
    Drive thru the area, Middelburg, Carolina, Ermelo, Hendrina, Chrissiesmeer, Lothair, towards Standerton. All feeder streams to the Vaal.
    You also have the upper Vaal area, where it starts, with good populations of fish.
    Some are so narrow and you can jump across the streams, hike along those streams, you will find fish.
    I spent a long time fishing in that area.
    Once you realise how many fish in a small stream, you will think you are in fly fishing heaven.
    use small hoppers, caddis etc and your dry fly dreams will come true.
    Any rod from #3 to a #5 will be suffice
    Hi Korrie,

That is exactly the reason for this thread, I know they are out there but finding them is tricky. We can use google maps and such bit getting permission to fish them is another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    When you drive on the N4 towards Witbank, there is a game reserve of sorts on the leftjand side of the road. There is a small river that flows down into a fairly large dam. Have you tried to get in there? I always drive past it and want to go fish it.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-25.8...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

olifants.jpg
    That dam is the witbank dam, as far as I know no fishing is allowed in the reserve, though this is from hearsay.
    Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    Treur & Blyde River's will tick your boxes.
    I know about the Blyde but never heard about the Treur, can you provide any more details? Have you fished these waters before?
    George Victor Cooper

George, welcome to the blue line brigade!
    Google Earth is your friend, together with old topographic maps (spatialreference.co.za).
    If you want proper pristine waters that you can actually access for gentle money, try Rhodes (rhodesvillage.co.za) and Maclear (Woodlciffe.co.za) in the Eastern Cape. The upper reaches of a number of these streams are pretty much untouched. And the harder you're prepared to hike, the more pristine they'll get.
    Or throw some money at the problem and get to Lesotho. Just be sure to look for a tour that is more about remote streams, many are more about big fish in big water. From what you describe, Eastern Lesotho around Mohkotlong is probably a good area for you. as an example: http://www.tourettefishing.com/packa...kking-lesotho/
    Finally, in Mpumalanga, if you spend money on a guide or three, you could win.

Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    That dam is the witbank dam, as far as I know no fishing is allowed in the reserve, though this is from hearsay.
    ok, so doing a bit of research, the problem fishing that section of between the Witbank dam and the olifantsdam in the Witbank nature reserve is the Hyena and leopard that is found in the reserve. There is no mention of crocodiles in the river or dams.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    ok, so doing a bit of research, the problem fishing that section of between the Witbank dam and the olifantsdam in the Witbank nature reserve is the Hyena and leopard that is found in the reserve. There is no mention of crocodiles in the river or dams.
    No crocs, they only become a problem if you move more towards Groblersdal area. Too cold this side when winter comes around.
    George Victor Cooper

No crocs, they only become a problem if you move more towards Groblersdal area. Too cold this side when winter comes around.
    Then the leopard is your actual problem. Hyenas is not known for attacking humans, adults anyway. But leopard will make a short meal of you.
    Frederick

Dont forget Rust De Winter and the Elands River, big crocs, and what, 80 - 90 km's out of Pretoria...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast