Thread: Eastern Cape yellows

Default Eastern Cape yellows

Not many folk know of the "Karoo Gold Yellows we have around the Darlington Dam and Somerset East areas.
    All small mouth and beauties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8VwF_Uu2kg
    The winter months are the best for the yellows around here as they close the canal from Gariep for maintenance and the rivers run nice and clear.

If anybody is coming down this way drop me a PM and I will gladly give you directions and contact numbers of the farmers in the area

Oh no!
    Another place I have to stop on my travels.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Not many folk know of the "Karoo Gold Yellows we have around the Darlington Dam and Somerset East areas.

The winter months are the best for the yellows around here as they close the canal from Gariep for maintenance and the rivers run nice and clear.

If anybody is coming down this way drop me a PM and I will gladly give you directions and contact numbers of the farmers in the area
    I am in Graaff Reinet at least two or three times a year so I will definitely take you up on that offer. Been trying to get some yellow fishing in there for some time now.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

nice to know CFT, thanks for the kind offer

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post

Thanks CTF - Do you live in the area? I used to live in Fort Beaufort - Lots of nice places to find some yellows!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I am in Graaff Reinet at least two or three times a year so I will definitely take you up on that offer. Been trying to get some yellow fishing in there for some time now.
    Anytime Boet. Looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Thanks CTF - Do you live in the area? I used to live in Fort Beaufort - Lots of nice places to find some yellows!
    I live in Addo. Awesome fishing but hard in the summer as the water is really dirty. Winter fishing is sooo much better

Hi CFT
    I have family that farms on the Fish River just upstream of Cookhouse. Is it worth a visit from Cape Town? What time of year? June / July? I usually go fish the Richtersveld in September / October. Is it worth giving the Fish River a try in stead for a little change in scenery?
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

I would get hold of the local guru Alan Hobson.
    He has waters stocked in the Somerset East/Cradock area that will blow your mind. Trophy double figure rainbows and the like.
    The fish above the weir has moggel but and trout as far as I know but no yellows.
    The little fish is also moreofa good at that time of the year. I normaly start fishing around 10am when it warms up a bit.
    Nymphs, big ones and the trusty old woolly bugger wiff rubber legs always works for me.
    There is a get together at "Tiekie Draai"on the 31st July and I plan to ne there. Magic waters on the little fish.

PM me for Alans number

What tactics are you using to catch the yellows during winter. What flies, what rig, where you looking for the fish, depth

I fish the rapids in the koonap river during summer but often its too dirty and makes fishing tough. Winter time does mean the flow is slow and the river cleans up
    Last edited by Mip; 23-06-16 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mip View Post
    What tactics are you using to catch the yellows during winter. What flies, what rig, where you looking for the fish, depth

I fish the rapids in the koonap river during summer but often its too dirty and makes fishing tough. Winter time does mean the flow is slow and the river cleans up
    welcome Mip, maybe give CFT a private message