Thread: Starting up

Default Starting up

Hi guys,

I am wanting to start tying myself, however I'm not too sure where to start?

Can anyone give advise or really a list of things I need - not the basic things like a vise and the tools to go with it but more along the lines of what materials I would need for starting out?

Also if anyone knows of a good value for money vise to get then that would be helpful! It is to my understanding that it would be worth spending a bit of cash on a good vise and tools?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers - Mike

Hi Mike,

Don't skimp on your vice. Buy a proper vise as that will save you lots of frustrations later on.

In terms of the materials you need, well that really depends on the flies you wanna tie.

What species are you wanting to target?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Best thing that you can do for starters, is before you spend any money, get together with someone in your area, and do some tying. I am of the opinion, that if you have never tied before, buy the cheapest vise that you can find, and when you become better, then go for one with features that will suit the flies that you want to tie. Basically its just like fishing, you can do it on a budget, or you can go absolutely mental with spending.
    I see that you are in KZN, and depending on where you are, get together with a club.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I fully agree with you Andre!
    I got myself one of those fly tying kits for R299 and I have made some nice flies between size 1/0 and 20.

What I did before I found this forum, I went to the flyshop, Told the guys that I want to start tying flies. One asked me what flies I want to tie, the answer was whoolybuggers! and he gave me all the materials and hooks to make them in black, slowly I got more colours, and then changed patterns to tie copperjohn, salty bugger, clouser, baitfish etc... each time going to the shops and asking what I need extra for that flie!

goodluck!

aweome thanx for that help guys - looking to target trout, yellowfish and some nasty bass mostly! Hoping to get myself up to tying some nice nymphs and dry flies for some river fishing as well!

If anyone has any advice on what brand of Vise to go for? I see the JVise has some reviews but can't find too much - I do feel that spending a bit of cash on the vise will be in my best interest for the future as well!

Thank you for that advise about asking the guys in flyshops about what flies to tie - that will help a lot!