Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do You Practice Fly Casting ?

Default Do You Practice Fly Casting ?

See the title,please
    If yes -why,if not-why ?
    Thanks for your feedbacks.
    Cheers,
    Zoran

I am afraid I don't, except for when actually fishing. I sometimes think about going across to the park across the road to cast a bit, but am scared of hitting the dogs and soccer players. I don't have a garden at the moment otherwise i think i probably would.

I would love to create a small length of "smallstream" in my backyard to practice casting accuracy and drifts etc, but my friends are probably tired of hearing me talk about this..
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I am afraid I don't, except for when actually fishing. I sometimes think about going across to the park across the road to cast a bit, but am scared of hitting the dogs and soccer players. I don't have a garden at the moment otherwise i think i probably would.

I would love to create a small length of "smallstream" in my backyard to practice casting accuracy and drifts etc, but my friends are probably tired of hearing me talk about this..
    I hear he exercises his casting arm rather often...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    I hear he exercises his casting arm rather often...
    Sies, this is a family oriented Forum !

Zoran, I fish every weekend and don't get time to cast during the week, so it doesn't bug me too much. When the Vaal is PMS'ing however I've been known to take my rod out during lunch (read : whenever the hell I feel like it) and to cast down the lawns in front of my offices.

Wish I had time to spend more time practising my casting though, can't wait to have you along for a daytrip to the Vaal to have you critique and lambaste me

if i had the time, i'd probably find some other way of wasting it. but alas, i don't have time or space to practice casting
    the patient mental...

Don't actually practice on grass, only on the water. Luckily the frequency of fishing trips have increased lately.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

I used to practice casting my fly into a tea cup over a 4 to 10 metre distance when I was a youngster. Give it a go, you'll be amazed how it improves your accuracy. It is also great for improving your presentation, because you want the fly to alight into the cup, not bounce off the rim.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

When the fishing gets slow I then practice on the water!! ... usually for getting all my line out, roll casting, direction changes, etc - which I seldom bother about in normal fishing conditions.

It adds excitement and challenge to alleviate the frustration!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

They say practise makes perfect! But I fail to practise often enough. The thing with casting is, there are so many things you can practise. Accuracy, distance, direction change, double hauling, roll casting, etc etc etc.... Its difficult to decide what at the moment of practise and not to mention if the weather allows it. I tried one day what Chris mentioned regarding casting into a cup (dam a cup, I used a pot for a plant), but the wind was blowing from the wrong side and I could not change my casting position. Backyards don't always allow such free movement and in parks the people tend to look at you funny!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    They say practise makes perfect! But I fail to practise often enough. The thing with casting is, there are so many things you can practise. Accuracy, distance, direction change, double hauling, roll casting, etc etc etc.... Its difficult to decide what at the moment of practise and not to mention if the weather allows it. I tried one day what Chris mentioned regarding casting into a cup (dam a cup, I used a pot for a plant), but the wind was blowing from the wrong side and I could not change my casting position. Backyards don't always allow such free movement and in parks the people tend to look at you funny!
    Thats exactly the point of practising. Casting on a river or dam doesn't always allow you to change position either. Its a matter use it or loose it.

My 2c
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast