Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wading Boots... what choices are best?

Default Wading Boots... what choices are best?

Hi Guys,

I am again having to replace wading boots (felt sole), it becomes an expensive exersize. So what are the latest choices out there, at fair prices, and good quality?
    I don't mind spending above R3k but then they better last me a long time. But if I can find decent quality at better prices, why not.

So I see there is:

Snowbee (LOOK half decent, depends on price, and I have zero experience with them...if they are quite cheap they may be worth replacing every season or two)
    Simms Freestone (But yes, R3,700 plus... is it really worth it? Do they last? Who has had a pair for a long time?)
    Chota Abrahams (about R 1,650.00?) But I must be honest, I have never really liked them.
    Chota XTL Plus (About R 3,190.00) To be honest, for that price I'd rather go for the Simms. Plus, I just don't like the Chotas.
    Stealth Deluxe Boot
    Stealth Standard Boot
    Hodgman H3 Wading Boots (Looks very nice, but again I have no experience with them) - R 1,895.00
    Redington Prowler (Who stocks them in Gauteng? And again, I dunno these boots, but they look pretty decent)
    Vision wading boots (What happened to them? Which shops stock them? I could only find a Facebook page of a place called "Flygear" which seem to be able to supply them. But no idea where they are).
    Any other options?

I'd really appreciate your feedback and comments! Thanks Guys.

Have the Simms for about 6 months now and I fish / guide 4-6 days a week! No issues whatsoever the best pair of boots I've ever owned. My voete is R3700 werd case closed!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 25-09-16 at 11:56 PM.

I am currently using Simms Freestone boots, but I have only been using them for 1 season. This far I have no issues with them. They are pretty sturdy. The rubber sole compound sticks well on wet rocks and seems quite hard wearing. Perhaps, if I have to criticize, then it is that they are rather stiff when new.

I had Chotas before, I liked that they were more flexible, which made walking long distances more comfortable. But that also means that they didn't last well at all. The stitching came loose and the rubber compound between the boot and the felt sole disintegrated completely. Meaning that the felt came off. I will not buy them again.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Had Chotas twice and both times they lasted me a single season. Have had Simms Freestones now for three seasons and still going strong. Spend the extra money on the Simms if you can and dont look back.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

+1 on the Simms. Expensive but worth it.

It is so weird how everyone has a different experience with Chota's. I bought a pair of the cheaper range with felt about 6-8 years ago and they are still going strong. I paid R600 for the pair back then! The first few years I used them at the Vaal, and now they are into their second season on the Cape Streams. They don't look like they will be lasting to much longer though! I've probably used them twice a month on average between Aug- May.

The Hodgman's are a good looking boot.

I have been putting this off for too long now, I need to get new boots already. Mike, my Albrights I got from you, really lasted me, but, they finally gave up about a year ago. All told, they gave me 4 years plus on the Vaal.

But the time has come for me to procure some Simms.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Snowbee (LOOK half decent, depends on price, and I have zero experience with them...if they are quite cheap they may be worth replacing every season or two)
    No info

Simms Freestone (But yes, R3,700 plus... is it really worth it? Do they last? Who has had a pair for a long time?)
    Boot of choice if you can afford them

Chota Abrahams (about R 1,650.00?) But I must be honest, I have never really liked them.
    No thank you

Chota XTL Plus (About R 3,190.00) To be honest, for that price I'd rather go for the Simms. Plus, I just don't like the Chotas.
    No thank you

Stealth Deluxe Boot
    New model is out - old one lasted okay, not great

Stealth Standard Boot
    Did not last well on the Vaal from what I have heard

Hodgman H3 Wading Boots (Looks very nice, but again I have no experience with them) - R 1,895.00
    Rohan Koegelenberg uses them - guides and fishes every day - look him up on FB for feedback

Redington Prowler (Who stocks them in Gauteng? And again, I dunno these boots, but they look pretty decent)
    Jandi/Xplorer can get them. Good boot from what I have heard - but the Vaal is another story

Vision wading boots (What happened to them? Which shops stock them? I could only find a Facebook page of a place called "Flygear" which seem to be able to supply them.
    Richard Simpkins and Ruben Torres used to bring them in, but afaik are no longer agents for them.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

For what its worth, I have the Simms Freestone in both the felt and Vibram soled versions. The Vibram, in my opinion, is complete rubbish, and offers almost no grip. I use it for small streams when I have to hike, but its a death trap on the Vaal.
    Last edited by Stephen Louw; 26-09-16 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    For what its worth, I have the Simms Freestone in both the felt and vibram soled versions. The vibram, in my opinion, is complete rubbish, and offers almost no grip. I use it for small streams when I have to hike, but its a death trap on the Vaal.
    Agreed, I just switched from Vibram to felt on the Vaal, and its made a huge difference to wading, which was previously a perilous affair. I bought a pair of the new Stealth Deluxe boots (Same as Richard) and so far, I am very happy with them and how they are holding up. If they make three seasons, I will be happy.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast