Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Good venues in the Dullstroom area

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    As far as my knowledge goes, Katrinasrust was the main supplier of trout to the bulk of venues in the Dullstroom area? Some of the venues might have had/still has their own rearing facilities. Then there is/was Lunsklip and Nooitgedacht more towards Lydenburg. So, the availability of stock and the cost of stocking probably isn't what it used to be. Maybe someone better in the know can shed some light on this.
    Pretty much spot on.

A combo of permitting issues, katrinasrust only doing table/food supply, marabou having white spot etc. The drought also meant people held off on stocking for fear of their dam levels not making it though winter.

Some venues are still firing though so chat to the shops and guides in the area.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Pretty much spot on.

A combo of permitting issues, katrinasrust only doing table/food supply, marabou having white spot etc. The drought also meant people held off on stocking for fear of their dam levels not making it though winter.

Some venues are still firing though so chat to the shops and guides in the area.
    Yep, Katrinasrust stopping stocking has been a big issue. Lunsklip has great fish but they are located more towards Lydenburg and with big demand it seems there is a deficit.

Secondly, stocking fish has become expensive. I remember when venues wouldn't stock below 1kg fish. Now 500g seem to be the norm as it is most cost effective.

Venues that are well managed such as Millstream will always produce great fishing, particularly their trophy/ catch and release dams. It's also simple maths, 24 units at R8000 levy per week gives a lot of ZAR to stock fish. Many smaller venues cannot afford to stock and hence you see a lot more venues punting their MTB and (ugh) Hiking.

Then to top it all off, the drought would've increased summer fish kills in dams that aren't spring fed. Some dams there are the lowest i've ever seen them.

But ALWAYS ask when the venue stocked before booking, they tend to be honest, and if the aren't name and shame them.
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

I am pretty pissed off. I am heading to Dullies next weekend, booked to stay at Elands Valley, so I called them now and they told me they havent stocked in ages, and that there are not many fish around. If I never had asked, no one would have told me, and I would have wasted a lot of money flogging dams with no fish in them.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I am pretty pissed off. I am heading to Dullies next weekend, booked to stay at Elands Valley, so I called them now and they told me they havent stocked in ages, and that there are not many fish around. If I never had asked, no one would have told me, and I would have wasted a lot of money flogging dams with no fish in them.
    Thanks for letting us know Jade. As harsh as it is, venues like this need to be pressured into stocking by not giving them business. Particularly when the website boasts at length about the fishing. It is a shame, they have such greats waters.

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks for letting us know Jade. As harsh as it is, venues like this need to be pressured into stocking by not giving them business. Particularly when the website boasts at length about the fishing. It is a shame, they have such greats waters.
    Yeah I am still trying to work out something with the owners. Its ridiculous that guys book (it is bloody expensive) to fish premium waters, that are void of fish, without them telling us. Either way, now I need to find some nice day waters to fish . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Yeah I am still trying to work out something with the owners. Its ridiculous that guys book (it is bloody expensive) to fish premium waters, that are void of fish, without them telling us. Either way, now I need to find some nice day waters to fish . . .
    BoP and Laverpa are fishing great i'm told! Tweedekans does day fishing about 3 km from where you're staying, but smallish waters, although have had great fishing there. What dates are you there? I will be there 15th-17th and 30/31 July if you'd like to join where we fishing.

Thanks James, appreciate the information and offer.

I am there on the 22 - 24th of July, so I am afraid we will miss each other, but lets stay in touch. I plan on going a few times before the season ends.

Yeah I have a problem with these venues stating they stock on a regular basis but in reality don't.
    Field & Stream (my first choice before I decided on Little Troutbeck) told me that they are actually OVER STOCKED at the moment.......For those of you that might want to go there perhaps.
    I'll try Troutbeck's dams, if not producing then I'll move to Mavungana's day waters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3