Thread: First attempt at prawn fly

Default First attempt at prawn fly

After a bit of experimentation and trial and error managed my first attempt at a prawn fly. Based on a JAM fly but cant really call it one as I dont know the exact steps.

Passed the basin test and rights itself.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nice, not bad. Can you say how you based it on a JAM fly, but nonetheless, if it works, nice fly.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Well as far as I could deduce a JAM fly is weighted at the back of the fly which anchors the fly and gets it down and then foam at the front which keeps the fly upright and lets the hook point hover just above the sand.

Fly has lead wrapped along the shank and foam in the head so atleast it does that also used the silicone sheets for the shell of the prawn.
    The look can use a bit of refinement which I have some ideas for later models.

The essence of the Jam fly, is the buoyancy, which is created by the combination of lead and foam placement at various stages of the develoment of the fly, and its strategic location. The Jam fly sinks fast, yet settles above the sand, and it moves in particular patterns according to how it is fished.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Very nice looking fly!

I assume it would be effective on the mud flats but nice fly

Changed it a little bit.