Thread: Dragon Sprawler Nymph Pattern

Default Dragon Sprawler Nymph Pattern

Hi All,

Please share some sprawler dragon nymph patterns. Most of the dragon nymph patterns out there imitate the longer aeshnidae nymphs and I have found many smallish sprawler nymphs in stillwaters. At Eikendal we have also a small mud dwelling sprawler nymph in a tannish colour.

I have been playing around with a new dragon sprawler nymph pattern. Still need to do some tweaking, so all the flies are different. Did test in the water and it has a really great 3D translucency to it, with a neutral buoyancy. Will give it a fish fooling test soon.

Hopelik met 'n gedyede leader! Mooi vliegies!:wink:

Ja nee, hulle gaan swem op daai selfde leader Die vis sal nie eers weet daar was ooit 'n hengelaar naby die gevaar nie.

This is beautiful fly
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Phillip, as mentioned elsewhere that looks to be a KILLER fly. I do have a question (and it applies to most dragons with soft legs) though. Would the legs not fold flat and become part of the body, and therefor not have any effect at all? I have been wondering - if one maybe can add some dubbing behind the legs, or even add a dab of epoxy/gel/resin/glue so that it does not fold in so easily. What are your thoughts?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Phillip, as mentioned elsewhere that looks to be a KILLER fly. I do have a question (and it applies to most dragons with soft legs) though. Would the legs not fold flat and become part of the body, and therefor not have any effect at all? I have been wondering - if one maybe can add some dubbing behind the legs, or even add a dab of epoxy/gel/resin/glue so that it does not fold in so easily. What are your thoughts?
    Hi Mario,

In the water some legs stand out but others also lies flat against the abdomen. Rubber/spanflex will stay better in position but I like the look of the Egyptian Goose or partridge. As you mentioned a small dubbed section behind the legs or some flexible glue at the base of the legs should do the trick.