Thread: Work-horses of yesteryear

Default Work-horses of yesteryear

I'm over buying cheaper modern day reels after another new reel gave up the ghost yesterday. I have a couple of Youngs and although they don't have the perfect design and all the bells and whistles, they are tanks and I don't anticipate failure anytime soon.
    Problem is I need something for a heavier rod with a useful drag for larger freshwater fish (7/8/9 weight).

What are the reels of a couple of decades ago that is worth looking at?

pflueger medalist? i have an olympic- medalist copy that is over 20 years old and was fished by Alan (seeker) for bass etc that looks like it will take another 20 years easy.

The Pflueger reels are heavy though are they not, even by older reel standards? It seems to be one of the few options with a workable drag though.

This sort of goes against my modern cheap reel policy, but what about Stealth CAS2? My CAS1 is solid and seems to hold up well, seems like a solid design.

Does Leeda have anything to look at?

Scientific Anglers System2?

Battenkill is really pretty, but a little more pricey, and depending on the model, palm drag system.
    Same with the Shakespeare Super Condex, also palm drag, but one can pick them up rather cheaply.