Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what is the best way to mount a GoPro?

A GoPro Pole is probably about the most versatile piece you could get in my opinion... it extends your range of angles immensely.. If you fish with a back pack, you can fashion a make shift holder/strap on the side of the pack to give you the "over the shoulder " view, which I agree with Gerhard is vastly better than either the head or chest mount... the head mount gives a nice 1st person POV, but its annoying as hell to watch because you don't realise just how much you move your head... makes for VERY shaky video...

Chest mounts are useless for fishing in my opinion... they are great until you bend over ever so slightly or crouch... then all you filming is the floor... or your knees.. or your boep..

The pole doubles as a wading stick of sorts at times too, and its easy to wedge between some rocks in a standing position like a tripod to film while you fish... it also lets you get close to the fish whilst still in the water and capture some underwater footage... the problem with head mounts and chest mounts is thats the only angle you're gonna get... the key to any good watchable video is multiple angles and cuts between scenes.. watching one long sequence from start to finish from the same angle with no cuts/angle changes etc is about as much fun as watching soccer/paint dry...

On that note, spend some time learning how to edit.. because all that footage is useless without it being edited into something watchable... GoPro's are amazing tools, but without some editing skills ( even very basic ) they are useless...
    Also do what you can to learn the camera settings with regards to adjusting the field of view settings, and FPS rates etc.. amazing what a difference it can make to your footage from a days outing when you make use of the multiple available FOV settings etc.. and using the FPS for slow mo stuff and such..

With regards to sound... the sound isn't great, but its usable with the housing... typically you'll want to dub over with music and such afterwards, and maybe just use small snippets of the camera sound...
    weirdly when you submerse the GoPro and housing in water it picks up every tiny bit of sound you could imagine.. obviously to do with the fact sound travels faster in water, but its quit alarming when you first play it back...

Some other tips worth noting:

1 - Don't try follow a fish for example all over the place whilst its moving around.. the resulting footage is so shaky/messy it becomes unusable.. rather try use smooth slow movements which have the fish swimming naturally in and out of frame rather than trying to follow it all over the place..
    2 - Slow and Smooth - As per above, go slow and try make your movements as slow and smooth as possible.. because even when you think you being smooth and slow, I can promise you its shaky... takes some practise, but at least if you're conscious of it at the start you'll get smoother and smoother.
    3 - Buy a spare battery if you plan on filming more than an hours worth of footage... GoPro batteries are notoriously horrendous... having a better die just when you want the damn thing to work sucks...

Some of the best examples of what can be done on a GoPro and fishing in my opinion is the stuff being put out by Matt Gorlei, Nick van Rensburg and Chase Nicholson, the FlyBru boys based outta Stellenbosch... Matt has a true gift for editing in my opinion, and these guys do a great job of making great entertaining videos with what are essentially pretty basic set ups ( GoPro's)... worth checking them out on Youtube.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSP...9nslCacjUlf2ow

This is one of my favourites of theirs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVYe-5C3KU

my 2 cents worth anyway..
    Last edited by Nepptune; 20-09-16 at 05:07 PM.
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hi Neps
    Super advice, thanks for it
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2