Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sage TXL-F 00wt What lyn works well?

Theres your problem - the guy that taught you cant cast either.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

My 0wt with a matching Sage line works a charm. I wouldnt say its a fast action rod, but its a much more delicate feel than a heavy loading 5wt. Still, I have never had an issue casting mine, actually love it compared to my 2wt's. Maybe its your casting action? slow it down a bit?
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

A standard 1wt line will work on all the homeopathic rated sages. There's only a bee's dick worth of difference in the specs.
    I use an Orvis 1wt line on my 00wt TXL - works perfectly!
    The highest form of existence is play.

This from the ultralightflyfishing forum:

That was for the earlier TXL model and matching Sage Quiet Taper lines. I think the newer TXL-F range is a little more pap than the old TXL range, but I'll be surprised if they don't also run sweetly with a standard 1wt line (60 grains).
    The highest form of existence is play.

Thanks. I am leaning towards the 1wt RIO Lt line.

Cheers

I use a TXL-f 000 weight with a Rio 1 Weight LT DT. It feels right to me, and a deeper flex and more rapid close range loading. From my own experience, I agree with the idea that all TXL-F's 0-000 are really 1wts, with varying degrees of stiffness. The increments between these 0-000 rods are really so small that if you put a 1 weight line on a 000, it is really only about one line size up in real world terms.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    I use a TXL-f 000 weight with a Rio 1 Weight LT DT. It feels right to me, and a deeper flex and more rapid close range loading. From my own experience, I agree with the idea that all TXL-F's 0-000 are really 1wts, with varying degrees of stiffness. The increments between these 0-000 rods are really so small that if you put a 1 weight line on a 000, it is really only about one line size up in real world terms.
    A few years ago I received a 00wt line from a friend to use on my 000wt TXL and the combination didn't work for me. It felt like the cast collapsed to soon due to the overload and resulted in poor presentation. I tried fishing it in all scenarios i.e. short casts, long casts, fishing pocket water etc and ended up with the same result. In theory it should have worked for me being somebody who prefers slower rods to faster ones, however the mechanics just didn't work.

Interesting observation Shector. I did try a 000 line, that felt to light and was blown about in the wind. The 1wt line feels like it gives me more stability and loading, and I do throw longer rather than shorter. Actually there is not a lot between a 1wt and 000wt line. I find you have to relax the backstroke more on a 1wt and let the rod load, with a 000 it's a bit more rushed because TXL-F is actually a fast rod. I don't over line any of my other rods. I have a pretty quick Sage One 9ft #3 which I use on the bigger Mooi and Bushmans rivers. On that I use a Cortland 444 #3 line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2