Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Articulated deer hair prawn flies

Thank you for your reply and insights Robin. I have spoken to one of the most experienced grunter fly rodders recently who spends lots of time on the Breede every year. The river has been quite clear during the past months and his observations was that the success rate jumped dramatically under low light conditions. With the majority of the fish being taken in 30 minute windows at last and first light. That can explain the refusals during most part of the day.

We fished the Kromme at St Francis in December, not FF since I was gilly to many kids, again the Kromme was clear and we caught fish at night, also kob, during the day, with the many boats, clarity etc. the fish ducked, I would
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 17-01-17 at 04:34 PM.

Being retired, I can chose my times to fish which is usually in the evening with a pushing tide. However I have caught some of my biggest fish in clear water in bright sunlight but again on the pushing tide. I have also found after a friend's experience that at last light on an outgoing tide, I have also caught when nothing was doing on the pushing tide. I have not fished the Breede for awhile now as I sold my ski boat when I was fishing the Bass circuit so needed a Bass boat but we found Gobies in the stomachs of the Grunters caught on the edges of the mudflats and during winter I fish these patterns and have picked up White Steenbras, Stumpnose and Kob on a tan Zonker/Clouser crawled along the bottom in Little Brak using an intermediate or sinking line, also the ever present Leeries that overwinter. Anyway good to share experiences but looks like every river has it's own little qwerks. I am off now to see if I can improve on yesterday's catch - wind still pumping so will fish a short line.

Hi White Death

Sent you a PM

Returned a pm. Did not know one could. Tried to phone. Going out at 18h00

Very interesting read - do you maybe have a photo of the brown crab you use? And how you fish it? I have several variations and would like to give it a try next time Im in Stilbaai.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

I have used about 50 different crab imitations and always a work in progress. Look at the colouration of your local crabs especially the claws as they vary from cream to orange to shades of brown. The biggest problem is presenting a bulky pattern to a sight casted fish as the entry into the water spooks most the fish as they swim very erratically where I fish. Also a lot of tough weed and grass so weedguards are also needed. Sink rate important so must have several differentiated weighted flies. I have tried weightless crabs and have not had a fish come up to them but again, I have not spend much fishing time trying this despite stalking fish in inches of water. I have come to the conclusion that it appears that Grunter are easier to catch in some rivers than others. And on some days they are on the fly and others(most) not interested at all. The challenge remains and that is what it is all about for me. Grunter are a fish of a million casts in my opinion when fly fishing. Different story where you have the swimming prawns in the river which we do not have in the Western Cape and I have never experienced the prawn walk in the spring as probably coincides with trips to Barkly East. If you want patterns of crabs, YOUTUBE is full of them. When you crack the code, let us know please.

Hi All

I completely agree with Robin, the grunter differ from one estuary to another.
    Having mainly fished the Keurbooms / Bitou rivers in Plett, it is evident that the fish are feeding on a combination of prawn and crabs and on some occasions in extremely shallow water.
    Most interest shown thus far is on a tan/white Charlie.
    Will keep trying.
    Tight lines to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2