Thread: Place to catch scalies in or near Pietermaritsburg

Default Place to catch scalies in or near Pietermaritsburg

Hi guys i will be in Pietermaritsburg from the 13th November.
    I will Have some time in the afternoon to fish. Do you know of any rivers near by where i can fish for scalies?

Below Midmar dam is probably the easiest.
    about 30km outside PMB
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I am not sure how access would work but try contact the guys at the Umgeni Valley Nature reserve to see if you can get access to the Umngeni. There is some lovely water along there.

I also read in an old FF magazine that the Umsundusi sections before they flow through PMB hold some lovely Scalies, but i have no idea how you would go about getting access to those waters

Sorry i cant be more specific help but those 2 pointers could get you researching in the right direction.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

oh yes - and the area where the umgeni flows into midmar dam, known as the cascades, is also apparently a great spot for them, but again you will just need to find out exactly how to get access.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Fishing the Cascades at Midmar can be done by entering the main entrance and drive towards the inlet. Park vehicle at end of road and walk further to cascades. Bit of climb down over rocks to the cascades. Otherwise take the Petrus Stroom turnoff from the R103 (that is the road going past Midmar to Mandela capture site) about 2-3kms of dirt and as you go over the Umgeni turn left to the dam. Just be alert at all times and preferably don't go alone.