Thread: What's the record Largemouth Yellowfish on fly?

Default What's the record Largemouth Yellowfish on fly?

Can someone tell me the record Largemouth Yellowfish on fly? From what I read the Orange River holds big Yellowfish.

IGFA is 21lbs. Unofficial the guy that caught that beast in VDK dam a few years ago although the scale bombed out at 11kg or there about *to me it looked close to 20kg.

I seen that monster yellow picture taken at the VDK dam. Do you think they can grow that size in the Vaal River?

Big Largemouth at Vanderkloof dam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mielies,

Not on fly, but I still have "Flip Joubert's - Varswater hengel in Suid Afrika" and in there the biggest Largemouth ever recorded was a 22 kg fish from the Vaaldam. John Southey got one of 17kg's in the Douglas area on the Vaal River - Rapala. That one from VDK I thought looked like a 13/14kg fish, but apparently 11.4kg (rather smaller than bigger :biggrin I am sure there are still a good number of fish in SA that will top the 12kg mark. On the right day with the right approach, these fish might be fooled, but they are bloody clever.

Some picture I found, 17kg on bait

Een van my kliente het 'n 11kg jobbie op vlieg gevang vroeër hierdie jaar. Vergelyk bietjie my foto met die VDB monster no way dat hulle net 'n paar honderd gramme verskil.....ons sin was maar 95cm total length blykbaar was daai ander ding naby 110cm gewees!!!!

IMG_6939.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 15-12-16 at 07:03 AM.

Daar is so paar fotos van BAIE groot LM geelvis wat gevang is, ongelukkig dood, so die fotos wil nie gepos word nie, maar oor die 20kg geweeg in die laaste 2 of 3 jaar.

Ek dink die groot visse kan nie altyd die stress hanteer van die vang agv hulle ouderdom nie.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

From my understanding a Yellowfish dies very quickly after been caught. I never take pictures, try to release the fish as quickly as possible. It takes couple of minutes to weigh, measure and take photos, buy that time the fish long time dead. By also using a to light weight fly rod, takes to long to play the fish and thus puts allot of stress on it. I use a 7 weight fly rod for the last 25 years.

Another picture of that Vanderkloof Largie, must be over 20 kg.