Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The best and worst eating fish

I know some parts of Europe, Catfish is a delicasy,
    I remember someone saying you will pay over R100/kg (and If i am correct there is a catfish farm in (Botswana) that supports the europe market)

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    I just cannot seem to enjoy trout, I suppose I need to find a decent recipe & then try it out?
    aha....but you get trout....and you get trout!! The taste of a wild river rainbow for example is a vastly different taste to that of a stockie from a put and take fishery, the later more akin to sawdust by comparison!
    The trout from Lakies on the other hand have a unique flavour of their own and the most vivid orange flesh, obviously from their rich crastacean diet....simply delicious!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 29-06-07 at 07:51 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    aha....but you get trout....and you get trout!! The taste of a wild river rainbow for example is a vastly different taste to that of a stockie from a put and take fishery, the later more akin to sawdust by comparison!
    The trout from Lakies on the other hand have a unique flavour of their own and the most vivid orange flesh, obviously from their rich crastacean diet....simply delicious!
    DEFINITELY!! ... a freshly caught stream/Lakensvlei trout .... still almost alive ... fried in bacon fat .... YUMMMM!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    One of my personal favorites is fresh Elf (shad) lightly smoked....mmmmmm, my mouth waters at the thought! There can be few fish to beat shad for succulence and delicacy.
    Agreed ! In the 80's I often used to fish Mapelane for shad, the first one we caught was killed, gutted and lightly smoked on the beach for breakfast - delicious ! A couple of years ago I did a similar thing with cob on the beach at Foz do Cunene - not bad either. I think half the "taste" of good fish, comes from the surroundings where you are eating it.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Sea Fish - Best - Galjoen

Freshwater
    Have any of you okes tried a biggish bluegill ?
    When I was a kid my brother and I used to catch them in the Olifants river when we visited my Granparents near Vredendal. Early morning - fresh bluegill on a spit with a bit of salt - not to be scoffed at.

Cheers

Best keeping it to fresh water:

Trout, numerous recipes, wild trout prefered
    Bass, garlic butter fried
    Bream from Zim - battered and fried by a local
    Barbel correctly prepared a awesome eating fish, again caught in the right water
    Blue Kurper Fillited, battered and fried

Worst:

Carp no matter how it is prepared
    Muddy, too much bones

Best saltwater:

Shad freshly caught and BBQ on the beach
    Galjoen
    Kob
    Knorhaan (I think called Grinit(sp)) awesome eating
    Kingklip

Worst:

Nothing on this list for me yet. Obviously I've been lucky.

The best - freshly caught shad, smoked or fried in butter, salt and pepper only. Anything more destroys the taste.

Smoked sea barbel is excellent, too. I quitefrankly don't know why such a hoo-ha is made of snoek. The best freshwater fish is freshly caught nembwe (almost as good as shad).

The worst is carp and barbel. You can do what you want, it'll always taste of mud. The mushy flesh of hatchery trout is not pleasant either.
    If everybody is thinking alike, nobody's thinking - George Patton

Best saltwater - Dorado
    Best Freshwater - Fresh mountain stream trout stuffed with onions and garlic butter on the braai

Worst - Carp
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Best:
    Salt
    1. Rock cod
    2. Bronze Bream
    3. Shad

Freshwater
    1. Any Salmon
    2. Fresh trout
    3. Bass

I'm with PK on the worst, yet to have something bad - even when I tried some barbel it was pretty good
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Default best/worst taste

ok repeat after me

FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD!!!!

but if I "HAD" to choose

nothing comes close to fresh Yellowfin Tuna Steak chargrilled Rare
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast