Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calitzdorp

Question Calitzdorp

HI GUYS ,SPENT SATURDAY AT CALITZDORP DAM TRYING FOR YELLOWS, WITH NO LUCK. WE MAINLY FISHED TO THE LEFT OF THE DAM WALL IN DEEP WATER, I TRIED FLOATING AND SINKING LINES AND DIFRENT FLIES WITH NO LUCK. GAVE UP AFTER 6 HOURS. PLANNING TO GO BACK SOON, ANY HELP OR HINTS FROM THE GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN THERE WOULD BE NICE.

Quote Originally Posted by pottie View Post
    HI GUYS ,SPENT SATURDAY AT CALITZDORP DAM TRYING FOR YELLOWS, WITH NO LUCK. WE MAINLY FISHED TO THE LEFT OF THE DAM WALL IN DEEP WATER, I TRIED FLOATING AND SINKING LINES AND DIFRENT FLIES WITH NO LUCK. GAVE UP AFTER 6 HOURS. PLANNING TO GO BACK SOON, ANY HELP OR HINTS FROM THE GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN THERE WOULD BE NICE.
    Hey Pottie- I fished Calitzdorp dam for the first time about 3 years ago and had a blast nailing the yellows (after some of the Southern Cross Fly Fishing guys from George arrived and gave me some tips on how to fish the dam). I was so excited that I took a group of guys from this site the following year and we virtually blanked! The dam was much lower and the water clarity not nearly as good.

I have yet to fish it since then, having heard from my mates who used to fish it regularly that the papgooiers have stuffed it up good and proper.

When we first fished the dam the papgooiers would catch hundreds of little fish, the fly fishermen would catch dozens of really good sized fish and the artlure okes would not catch many, but the ones they caught were often beasts.

In any event- the few things I have learned about the dam are as follows:
    Fish up towards the inlet with the Nels River and then in the bay to the right hand side of the dam wall (if looking at the dam). Most successful flies are Viva Tadpoles by far, followed by zonkers and Mrs Simpsons.
    TO catch those fish you should be on a tube and cast virtually onto the bank- the fish sit close to the cliffs. And a fish finder helps massively.

Out of interest- where did you get in? Was there water up the side leg of the dam towards the Nels River? This is the hot spot- when we were last there it was 100% dry!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

HI KEVIN, WE PAID R40 AT THE CAMPING SITE, FROM THERE WE WENT TO THE INLET, THE WATER WAS VERY CLEAR AND NOT TO COLD. WE SPENT ABOUT 2 HOURS THERE WITH NO LUCK, WE THEN MOVED TO THE DAM WALL, WE FISHED THE BAY ON THE LEFT FOR +-4 HOURS, SAW SOME RISSES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAM. LOOKS LIKE NO FLOAT TUBE = NO FISH.

Kev I'm keen to go back. We must do it this spring.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Kev I'm keen to go back. We must do it this spring.
    May I come too?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

of course, BUT NO CAMERAS!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

hehe....ok, you may regret it, but done deal
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I will hold the single solitary camera and take the photos. I don't trust you two anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I will hold the single solitary camera and take the photos. I don't trust you two anymore...
    We have ways and means SMILE...you're on candid camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    We have ways and means SMILE...you're on candid camera!
    Chris, get a couple of those Loch Ness Monster hunter-photographers to assist you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast