Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DIY wading boots

Default DIY wading boots

Here in the Cape is a young boy, keen as mustard, on his fly fishing.
    He has been on the rivers the last 2 years, first bare foot, real little warrior, and later tekkies.
    But he started to "complain" about the slipping and mentioning the "Visvang skoene" that the older guys have.

I got a pair of canvas "safety boots" R200.00 and had a pair of old felt soles in very good condition from a pair of wading boots at home.
    I grinded the boots level and had the soles glued and stitched at Rocksole in the Cape.
    A pair of Ultra light weight boots for the young boy.

I am so impressed with how light the boots are, I am going to make me a pair for the summer months.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Photos not attached, lets try again
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

try again, resized the photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Wow Korrie these are cool. Ive been toying with the DIY idea myself. got some square carpet at work that im sure can work as soles. All the best to the young one on his fishing adventures.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

The carpet works very well.
    You can use it, I know of 2 guys who use the carpet on their DIY wading boots
    Korrie Broos

Nice mate -

You can set up a factory in the back of your existing one and branch out into wading boots with a cane chair to sit on whilst doing it :biggrin:

Hodgeman used to have boots like this - Orvis too. Very good Korrie.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hodgeman used to have boots like this - Orvis too. Very good Korrie.
    https://www.bobwards.com/hodgman-bri...elt-soles-9318

A bit more sturdy than my construction.
    but a bit more expensive.
    I am now making a pair for myself as well.
    When Pascal Cognard was here, he mentioned that he wants the softest most sensitive boots for wading. As this allows him to "stalk" as soft as possible to get in the best possible position. All my other boots are solid, sturdy, can take the punishment boots.
    SO I want to see how delicate I can wade with this, as you have to look where you step as the boots offer no protection against boulder damage to your toes and ankles.
    And at about R200, it is worth the experiment.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    A bit more sturdy than my construction.
    but a bit more expensive.
    For the little fishing I do these days I cannot justify R3000+ boots. Ankle support is always an issue for me (left ankle buggered), but with proper strapping these boots should be more than enough. What glue did you use?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Contact glue,
    First saturate the felt and let it dry and then apply second coat to both surfaces as normal.
    (This model was done by Rocksole, as I wanted it to be stitched as well for the young man, so that it will not come undone)
    But for my own model, I asked him how they do it at Rocksole, so I will proceed according.
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast