Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Berg River Dam - Pools Below the Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    It is closer to Paarl than to Table View.
    I am sure he will not hold it against you, should you go on your own every now and again.
    not to deviate from the berg river discussion, I would still like to go to the streams with you one day please? recently became a CPS member so when season opens I would like to learn as much as possible on the streams.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

From my side, it was my first time visiting Paarl to fish for those carp, so I haven't yet worked out all the intricacies to catching them that other guys have (for example Korrie, Sean Mills or the guys from The Mission Fly Mag). But I'm going to take another trip soon, to try again. Will PM you Jason. As for rod weight, I was using a 5 wt Sage Pulse, which I'm pretty sure is undergunned for the big ones, particularly since they fight dirty and have packed on the muscle from living in a current. Unfortunately my 7 wt is back in Mpumalanga: that or an 8 wt would be the right weight I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason vL View Post
    not to deviate from the berg river discussion, I would still like to go to the streams with you one day please? recently became a CPS member so when season opens I would like to learn as much as possible on the streams.
    Cool, keep in touch
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Rainbow View Post
    From my side, it was my first time visiting Paarl to fish for those carp, so I haven't yet worked out all the intricacies to catching them that other guys have (for example Korrie, Sean Mills or the guys from The Mission Fly Mag). But I'm going to take another trip soon, to try again. Will PM you Jason. As for rod weight, I was using a 5 wt Sage Pulse, which I'm pretty sure is undergunned for the big ones, particularly since they fight dirty and have packed on the muscle from living in a current. Unfortunately my 7 wt is back in Mpumalanga: that or an 8 wt would be the right weight I suspect.
    #5 is fine,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Rainbow View Post
    That would be great thanks. I will be tying a few flies for the mission. no surety they will work. Can I pm you my number or you can message me yours. Im not always able to get onto the forum.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

I've fished the pools just below the dam wall with gear and I can confirm a few very tiny SMB's, also a mate got a 1kg rainbow on a frog (he's a savage) and a few catfish (caught by locals on bait). I think there is pretty regular bait fishing going on which will tend to hoover up the troutses as they are pretty dim around bait. If there was proper control and C&R I think it could be a very interesting trout venue. We are, however, on the wrong continent for that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2