Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are we ignoring good fishing around the corners?

Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    Here in Joburg it is always a safety and/or pollution issue. I stay near Emmarentia dam, it is fairly difficult to target fish on fly, casting is a bit of a problem and the fish are very difficult to catch with any technique due to the pressure it receives.

There are however good fishing within less than an hours drive if you search a bit
    you hone your skills on those difficult fish.
    The Braamfontein spruit has fish in, and is accesable if you try hard enough.
    Then you have the river going thru the Craddle of mankind, good fishing.
    Blaawpan in Kempton is a safe venue. Benoni has the lakes along the highway, that is safe.
    a lot of golf courses has dams that is fishable if you ask
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

not anymore Korrie, even cops get killed in benoni lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    you hone your skills on those difficult fish.
    The Braamfontein spruit has fish in, and is accesable if you try hard enough.
    Then you have the river going thru the Craddle of mankind, good fishing.
    Blaawpan in Kempton is a safe venue. Benoni has the lakes along the highway, that is safe.
    a lot of golf courses has dams that is fishable if you ask
    That being said, we are an hour away from the Vaal River and its tributaries, why would we muck around in sewerage invested waters haha, not that the Vaal is not polluted, but at least the fishing is worth it

I would rather hone my skills on fish such as Largescale and Smallscale Yellowfish Not bass that has been hooked a few times and now has lockjaw for life haha
    Last edited by PieterS; 25-07-17 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Blaawpan in Kempton is a safe venue.
    It was safe a few years back, last time I visited people where mugged

Then you have the dams at Phillip as well.
    When I started fishing, you had to fish for "Wild fish"
    Lucky I came to other insights.
    You speak to Pascal Cognard, one of his favourite fishing is for stocked fish in Lakes on ultra light tackle fishing with buzzers.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

couldnt agree more with Pascal, fishing buzzers in pressured waters (in this case dullies) has been fantastic for me. very productive with paused moments to relax and sipping obs. same for other facets of fishing like bassing, here most fisherman present the bait with some form of action to induce takes, i simply straight stick the bait for minutes on end, works wonders in pressured small ponds.

Nice thread, we have 2 dams were I stay in Vierlanden, both with carp in, the smaller one is in the country's smallest nature reserve, you can sight fish for carp there , the larger dam is good fishing, both are 2 minutes from my house
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Nice thread, we have 2 dams were I stay in Vierlanden, both with carp in, the smaller one is in the country's smallest nature reserve, you can sight fish for carp there , the larger dam is good fishing, both are 2 minutes from my house
    Have you caught any fish there?
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    Here in Joburg it is always a safety and/or pollution issue. I stay near Emmarentia dam, it is fairly difficult to target fish on fly, casting is a bit of a problem and the fish are very difficult to catch with any technique due to the pressure it receives.

There are however good fishing within less than an hours drive if you search a bit
    Have to admit it ain't relaxing for me if I have to worry about anything apart from the fish not biting. Then I rather don't go, maybe it is a good idea for fly fishers in certain areas to join up in small groups when fishing these venues.

Can take turns to "staan wag"/car guard/fish etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast