Thread: ultraglass from maxcatch

Question ultraglass from maxcatch

recently bought a fibre glass rod, ultraglass 8ft 5wt 3sec. the main idea behind the purchase was for dry fly presentation. after giving it go i found the rod to be quite fast in action, even overlinning the rod i still produce tight loops, hell, it throws a full line out. i also gave it the curve test by hand and looks like it could cushion a 6x tippet but have my reservations until i hook one. has anyone got any experience with this rod, did i purchase it for coastal estuaries or should i try out the 3wt model or look out other makess (please not a new epic, too expensive for a learning curve).

Hi I have a glass rod and find it very sensitive and comfortable it is the brand you say is too expensive I use this rod for all my fishing trout and yellow and it does protect light tippets much better than graphite And is not as slow as bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    recently bought a fibre glass rod, ultraglass 8ft 5wt 3sec. the main idea behind the purchase was for dry fly presentation. after giving it go i found the rod to be quite fast in action, even overlinning the rod i still produce tight loops, hell, it throws a full line out. i also gave it the curve test by hand and looks like it could cushion a 6x tippet but have my reservations until i hook one. has anyone got any experience with this rod, did i purchase it for coastal estuaries or should i try out the 3wt model or look out other makess (please not a new epic, too expensive for a learning curve).
    Are you referring to the 703? And yes, it's not the typical glass rod action one would expect .... I don't find it "fast" per se, more that it recovers faster but still has a medium/fast action.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

yes Smallstreams, by no means a fast rod, definitely a medium/fast action rod, the modest action lends to a smoother slower cast than carbon rods, it recovers wells and havent felt the wobble yet (happy about that). still it generates some pretty fast line speed and this is where i was mislead, i was hoping that the fibreglass would ensure soft delicate dry fly presentation without adjusting the cast. maybe years of casting carbon has continued "bad habits" for fibre glass and need to spend more time casting or think like a structural engineer and load two weights up (have already tried one weight up already) on the rod or make alteration to the leader to help dissipate the energy from the cast (not a big fan of lengthening the tippet for abvious reasons)

hey Bakkes, you mentioned it was very sensitive, then you euro nymphing? wouldnt you be at a disadvantaged with the rods length (generally speaking of fibreglass being shorter than carbon)

Hi Dollar very possibly but it is not something that bothers me I like the feel of it both the cast and catch As for delicate I would just reduce the last bit on the power cast ??

i'll give it good go for sure and if fails me i'm pretty sure it will fit just perfectly for yellows in the vaal, that is dry flying. i already have the feeling and thoughts of going the bamboo way to achieve that perfect presentation, nothing better than seeing a fish take a dry like watching the dry land hehehe, maybe Smallstreams has an unwanted 3 or 4wt grass looking for a new home