Thread: stealth GT and stealth blue water

Default stealth GT and stealth blue water

Hi Guys

i am possibly going on a fly fishing trip to Oz next year and i am short a 10wt and 12wt setup.

As i will rarely ever use a 10wt or 12wt again, i dont want to break the bank on tackle. i wanted to know peoples experience with the above mentioned reels. i cant afford shiltons ( i already have a CL6 paired with a 9wt TFO which is my go to setup) but incase a GT or sailie make an appearance i would like to have a shot. i can probably get these reels at half or more than what a shilton costs.

in terms of rods, has anyone has any experience with the Shimano Biocraft EV 10 wt and 12 wt rods ?

Quote Originally Posted by Reveck Hariram View Post
    Hi Guys

i am possibly going on a fly fishing trip to Oz next year and i am short a 10wt and 12wt setup.

As i will rarely ever use a 10wt or 12wt again, i dont want to break the bank on tackle. i wanted to know peoples experience with the above mentioned reels. i cant afford shiltons ( i already have a CL6 paired with a 9wt TFO which is my go to setup) but incase a GT or sailie make an appearance i would like to have a shot. i can probably get these reels at half or more than what a shilton costs.

in terms of rods, has anyone has any experience with the Shimano Biocraft EV 10 wt and 12 wt rods ?
    Have a look at Echo fly rods for a 12wt option, various price ranges available (Echo Base, Echo Bad Ass Glass etc). You can then maybe still afford a Shilton or pair it up with something like a Redington Behemoth

I recently bought a new stealth GT 13-15wt, bearings, springs everything small that needs to be stainless steel is, but the metal they used for the spool is not good. I put some mono backing(like 100m of 0.55 ) on then 200m of 50llb braid and once that was on I realised the tight line on the spool caused it to slightly buckle. Really disappointed and not knowing why the spool was touching the sides of the body, Ryan from eikendal explained what happend. Still can't believe such a big reel can bend like that. We took the line off and spooled it on slightly looser and the reel went back into it's original shape. Other than that it seems solid .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dill elliott; 31-07-17 at 05:35 PM.

Don't ever put mono on as backing on a flyreel. It's the stretch (can be as high as 30%) in the line causing the spool to buckle, you are lucky the damage wasn't permanent. Stick to dacron or GSP (braid or fused) backing (+-2% stretch).

Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    Don't ever put mono on as backing on a flyreel. It's the stretch (can be as high as 30%) in the line causing the spool to buckle, you are lucky the damage wasn't permanent. Stick to dacron or GSP (braid or fused) backing (+-2% stretch).
    Thanks for the advice
    Will do what you said

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Look at the Redington Behemoth as previosly stated.
    Dont think you can beat it for the price.
    Has a super strong drag to.

Keep checking OLX and Gumtree as you often get the higher weight combos for sale on there as guys use them once or twice then sell
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Rod wise the biocraft ev is a decent rod i have a 10 wt in the older red model. You can pick them up from ganis angling for a grand....they used to be R 1800 plus when they came out and that was before the rand got clapped vy the dollar. The 10 wt will handle a gt if you play it right.