Thread: Just to sad

Default Just to sad

An exert from the article:

It's anticipated that clean-up operations, following a diesel spill of 42 000 litres on the Meiringspoort Pass near De Rust in the Little Karoo, most of which flowed into the Grootrivier mountain stream, will take two weeks.
    On Tuesday, a tanker transporting diesel from Mossel Bay to Beaufort West overturned.

Eden District Municipality Disaster Management teams have installed filters at the waterfall in the poort in an effort to contain the diesel. Although some of the diesel got trapped in the sandy soil next to the road, about 35 000 litres is believed to have spilled into the river.

Link to full online article: https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news...river-10823287

this is a rather gloom situation. do companies get fines for things like this and if so isnt it just a slap on the wrist as far as the environmental impact goes?
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

I think the transport companies have Public liability insurance.
    A bit difficult to give a fine if it was "a genuine accident" i.e. front wheel blew out, or he had to swerve out for a reckless taxi etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The public liability makes sense as does the accident scenario. however you cannot deny the fact that the environmental impact is tremendous and sometimes detrimental.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

The transport companies are responsible to get a hazardous cleanup company to contain and clean the area affected.Usually these cleanup companies are well rigged and trained for such disaster and if they got there in good time i am sure they would have some sort of hold on the situation.I have seen one or two such cleanups and it is really done with great success

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    The transport companies are responsible to get a hazardous cleanup company to contain and clean the area affected.Usually these cleanup companies are well rigged and trained for such disaster and if they got there in good time i am sure they would have some sort of hold on the situation.I have seen one or two such cleanups and it is really done with great success
    that's awesome news. im glad there is a level of responsibility towards it.