Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reel Brand

Has anyone had experience with Horizon MR reels? Made for Frontier?

You'll find that the exact gear from Reel Fly Fishing, some from Xplorer and probably the new Horizon, is available on eBay from Chinese brands such as MaxCatch and Angler's Dream at cheaper prices.

Compare this: https://www.reelflyfishing.co.za/pro...series-9-10-wt
    To this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxcatch-9-1...YAAOSwt5hYbwd8

Exact same reel, exact photos even.

The big advantage is that you won't have to wait up to three months for postage (you can't rule out never receiving it either) and you'll have local support when you need it. I don't have any of Reel Fly Fishing's gear but I would say it's perfectly acceptable quality if you're on a budget.
    Last edited by Golden Rainbow; 23-08-17 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meandmetoo View Post
    Has anyone had experience with Horizon MR reels? Made for Frontier?
    I think I found the MR on eBay. Just for interest sake...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxcatch-5-6...oAAOSwNnRYft-l

Hi Korrie...have you seen the new reels from Big Catch? They retailing for around R2200...they look decent
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi Korrie...have you seen the new reels from Big Catch? They retailing for around R2200...they look decent
    When I was there, they were unpacking, just had a quick sqizz at it.
    Will have a look when I have some more time.
    How come you go there and do not come and say hello and have a coffee at my office?
    (I am 100meters from them)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

next time.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Morning Guys,

I am happy to be a part of the community and like to be very transparent with everyone as that is how a great brand will be built. With regards to the Maxcatch type reels ,I have started to move away from a lot of their gear as they are cannibalizing the market, and offer no custom made tackle and are difficult to deal with and make starting up a business tough. I have moved over to a wonderful new manufacturer that is manufacturing for Reel Fly Fishing, they make use of top quality components while still allowing me to come in at a really competitive price point and offer excellent support and backup to my products. I will continue to support the "phased out" products as time goes but will be shifting to the new range of gear as per the stores offering and the support for these "newer" products will be top class.

Feedback has been extremely positive thus far and I am continually looking to improve upon the mistakes of past and build a truly unique brand that will work well for the South African fly fishing community. I know the above may sound a little "marketing like" but I just wanted to stand and up let everyone know where the fly tackle is headed and shifting towards and allow direct customer relations.

Feel free to drop me any questions or queries and I will happily assist as best I can.

Enjoy the time spent fishing and most importantly keep those lines tight!

- Shaun Carstens -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2